Pullet or cockerel. 10 weeks old.

The first bird in the first post has a pea comb, not a single comb, so it will be a lot smaller than the comb on a single-combed cockerel. Hatched on September 24 makes them about 11 weeks old if I've counted correctly, for which that pea comb is larger than I would expect on a pullet even with Leghorn blood. I agree with Rhodebar Lover that, in the first post, the first bird is a likely cockerel and second one is a pullet. Keep us updated on that first bird, though!

I searched up for some pictures and I found this photo of somebody who had 2 white leghorns at 10 weeks old
View attachment 3345060The combs are already getting very large, and very red. They’re definitely roosters. So I would say that yours looks like a pullet. But It will become more definite for you over the next few weeks.🙂
Im thinking pullet too, the sattles that are there are very round. (The father got his in at 6 weeks!) The comb should be red by now too. It’s probably safe to assume its a pullet, or just a really slow male. Hopefully I get blue eggs from this chick! But, I could also use another white layer, if they do lay white.

The first bird in the first post has a pea comb, not a single comb, so it will be a lot smaller than the comb on a single-combed cockerel. Hatched on September 24 makes them about 11 weeks old if I've counted correctly, for which that pea comb is larger than I would expect on a pullet even with Leghorn blood. I agree with Rhodebar Lover that, in the first post, the first bird is a likely cockerel and second one is a pullet. Keep us updated on that first bird, though!
True. Im really hoping its not one. The comb should be much redder though by 11 weeks. But I agree its large. I will keep a eye on them, but I have a feeling its a pullet, just with a oddly large comb. I have a 6 weeek old chick, same parents, but definitely a male, his comb is so red compared to this one. (And larger too) it could just be a fast developing female.

Here, I’ll go get a picture of the other male.
3301818C-3E53-4FF6-A2E5-ADB76D8178CE.jpeg
CCF5B655-1552-4C83-BEB7-72BEEA25B03F.jpeg

Last edited:
And heres the one in question. From today. (Some of those photos where from last week) View attachment 3345254Sorry about thebad lighting.
If this wasn't a mixed breed chick with leghorn in it, I'd say good odds it's a male. But since the leghorn is in there, it could go either way. I don't see male feathering yet.

Could still go either way, in my opinion, but if it turns out male I won't be at all surprised. I've seen a prairie bluebell chick with a comb like this turn out to be a male, but like I said, when you're dealing with mixes rather than breeds, sometimes you have to wait for the feathers, crows, and eggs.

If this wasn't a mixed breed chick with leghorn in it, I'd say good odds it's a male. But since the leghorn is in there, it could go either way. I don't see male feathering yet.

Could still go either way, in my opinion, but if it turns out male I won't be at all surprised. I've seen a prairie bluebell chick with a comb like this turn out to be a male, but like I said, when you're dealing with mixes rather than breeds, sometimes you have to wait for the feathers, crows, and eggs.
True. Thats the reason I don’t think I should just jump to the conclusion its a male and cull it. (Can’t have males where I am) cull being rehome or eat. I guess I will post an update in 3 weeks or so. Thanks!

There's a good chance No. 1 is a pullet, I'd have expected much more wattle growth on a leghorn X male.

Here's my chick at 7 weeks and 10 weeks, mother was a white Leghorn and father a Crested Cream Legbar

Hes now a 15 month old cockerel and a father of 6 new chicks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221209_222407.jpg
    Screenshot_20221209_222407.jpg
    597.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20221209_222504.jpg
    Screenshot_20221209_222504.jpg
    806.8 KB · Views: 7
There's a good chance No. 1 is a pullet, I'd have expected much more wattle growth on a leghorn X male.

Here's my chick at 7 weeks and 10 weeks, mother was a white Leghorn and father a Crested Cream Legbar

Hes now a 15 month old cockerel and a father of 6 new chicks!
Well, the wattles are being affected by a very small beard. He/she may not look it, but she/hes bearded and muffed.

Back
Top Bottom