Pullet or cockerel?

I've got a barred rock roo, and the coloring is similar to yours, but a bit more distinct between all of his lines - but mine were hatched in May. My roo has an enormous comb that turned red as soon as the white in his feathers came in, and he's been crowing now for a couple of weeks.

Since yours in a hybrid, I wouldn't count out pullet quite yet. Three months is a good amount of time, you haven't heard a single crow yet?

Here’s my BR roo, and he turns two months tomorrow actually. The coloring is close, but yours is a bit more mottled, which they hybrid thing could account for. But the comb on my roo is much more red and pronounced than yours is - and he likes to let all the ladies know he’s around with his crowing lol.

I’m saying yours could be a pullet - assuming the mix is BR.

Attachments

• 34E4712E-1A92-4575-8E35-7C8E0ED63966.jpeg
    34E4712E-1A92-4575-8E35-7C8E0ED63966.jpeg
    772.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 5E6CB48F-E3A2-4334-8915-19E66CDFA747.jpeg
    5E6CB48F-E3A2-4334-8915-19E66CDFA747.jpeg
    781.3 KB · Views: 11
Here’s my BR roo, and he turns two months tomorrow actually. The coloring is close, but yours is a bit more mottled, which they hybrid thing could account for. But the comb on my roo is much more red and pronounced than yours is - and he likes to let all the ladies know he’s around with his crowing lol.

I’m saying yours could be a pullet - assuming the mix is BR.
So i contacted who my boys got the eggs from and asked and the lady said she had an EE roo and a barred rock hen together and the egg that this chick hatched from was a very very pale green. I really hope its a hen. Very very sweet and docile. Hasnt crowed either.

So i contacted who my boys got the eggs from and asked and the lady said she had an EE roo and a barred rock hen together and the egg that this chick hatched from was a very very pale green. I really hope its a hen. Very very sweet and docile. Hasnt crowed either.

So I'm new to BR's this year, but I've got to say that the comb and the wattles on this dude came in strong from the start - and when I started to try to sex my BR's, he looked very typical for the breed. The fact that mine is a full month younger than yours, and yours doesn't even have a wattle speaks well for the pullet possibility.

I know I'm not the resident site expert here, but I've had four roos this year - and all four had combs that turned deep red after about a month and a half, and I don't see that with yours. And my BR pullet is now starting to develop her comb - and it's just below the level yours is at now. So I'm pretty confident you got yourself a little lady there.

I vote cockerel too. The comb may not be very big but it's red (in the photo) too red for a girl IMO. Also, EE typically don't get wattles so that's not a great indicator but there is a lot of red skin around the eyes too. I had an OE hatched in April and I was hoping against hope it was a hen but the comb was too red, though the body was very dumpy like a pullet, and rounded saddle feathers. But no dice, he definitely had testes when the hawk partially ate him and left me to clean up the mess (ew).

This was my mystery bird. Too bad. But at least if a hawk had to get something, it was a cockerel. Sorry buddy.

Attachments

• 20200620_203240 (2).jpg
    20200620_203240 (2).jpg
    637.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20200620_203503 (2).jpg
    20200620_203503 (2).jpg
    417.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20200622_125207 (1).jpg
    20200622_125207 (1).jpg
    617.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200622_125255 (3).jpg
    20200622_125255 (3).jpg
    428.5 KB · Views: 8
I vote cockerel too. The comb may not be very big but it's red (in the photo) too red for a girl IMO. Also, EE typically don't get wattles so that's not a great indicator but there is a lot of red skin around the eyes too. I had an OE hatched in April and I was hoping against hope it was a hen but the comb was too red, though the body was very dumpy like a pullet, and rounded saddle feathers. But no dice, he definitely had testes when the hawk partially ate him and left me to clean up the mess (ew).
Thats terrible. Im sorry that happened. I think I'm trying soo hard not to see red lol. But now that everyone is saying roo all I see is bright red if that makes sense lol.

Back
Top Bottom