Pullet or cockerel?

This cutie was hatched on April 20th from a batch of eggs my son was given and im stumped. Im leaning towards pullet but not certain and can't pinpoint breed. Any ideas
What color egg did s/he hatch from? If it was blue-tinted, I'd say part EE. If not, there could possibly be some favarolles, judging by the muffs & beard, but there's no hint of feathering on the legs ... so I lean more to EE.
As far as gender, this one's s stumper. With mixes, especially mystery mixes, combs can be misleading, especially at this in-between age. I have some Nankin bantams hatched the same day. The cockerels have bright red combs, but the pullets vary from yellow-pink to a red that rivals their brothers' ... but they're definitely young ladies!
Your beautiful (VERY beautiful!) youngster could still go either way. You may not know until you can figure out which end is "productive" ... as in, do you get a crow from the front or an egg from the other end!

I also think cockerel, he is the exact same age as my newest 5 chicks and the 4 pullets still have smaller and much paler combs than he does, also the paler barring.
He certainly is gorgeous though! :)

Back
Top Bottom