Pullet or cockerel?

I vote cockerel too. The comb may not be very big but it's red (in the photo) too red for a girl IMO. Also, EE typically don't get wattles so that's not a great indicator but there is a lot of red skin around the eyes too. I had an OE hatched in April and I was hoping against hope it was a hen but the comb was too red, though the body was very dumpy like a pullet, and rounded saddle feathers. But no dice, he definitely had testes when the hawk partially ate him and left me to clean up the mess (ew).

Not disagreeing with you, just looking for some clarification then: aren't combs supposed to redden up before they start laying? My BR pullet, and my Delaware girls, are all still pretty pale in their combs, but I thought they would redden up prior to laying. Isn't 3-4 months pretty standard for pullets to get ready to lay?

Attachments

• received_446499282899928.jpeg
    received_446499282899928.jpeg
    694.5 KB · Views: 19
  • received_2032500156882493.jpeg
    received_2032500156882493.jpeg
    547.2 KB · Views: 22
  • received_3308777659145665.jpeg
    received_3308777659145665.jpeg
    707.1 KB · Views: 20
Let me know if these help
I don’t see any pointed saddle feathers yet. But, that doesn’t prove that it’s a pullet, because those saddle feathers could come in later. However, if this chick is really an EE roo x barred rock hen (and the EE father isn’t barred) then the cross is sex-linked, and only cockerels will inherit the mother’s barring, which means your chick is definitely a cockerel.

I don’t see any pointed saddle feathers yet. But, that doesn’t prove that it’s a pullet, because those saddle feathers could come in later. However, if this chick is really an EE roo x barred rock hen (and the EE father isn’t barred) then the cross is sex-linked, and only cockerels will inherit the mother’s barring, which means your chick is definitely a cockerel.
I'm thinking this lady wasn't very sure. The egg this one hatched from was green. I know that barred rocks don't lay that color. Either way though. I guess I'll go with cockerel.

I think a pullet. From the looks, she has a very hen shaped body and she doesn't seem to have long tail feathers. I would definitely say a girl!

Another "soft finding" is those legs. Those are very thick legs. Now I have some pretty butchy hens so again, it's not definitive. If he is a he he should definitely start trying out his crow soon. My EE cockerel from April 16 hatch just crowed for the first time yesterday. It was pathetic :)

Back
Top Bottom