Pullet or roo? I’m not sure. Six week old BPR. Help!

Oh wow! I hope they will get along because I want to keep them

Your best bet is to limit their contact once they get into teenager stage. If you have the room, separate them from the girls (but keep them together) in a bachelor flock. They will keep each other company without the hormonal pressure of needing to mate. If you want to breed one or the other of them, introduce them to their females separate from the other cockerel, or you will have fighting.

Your problem is more likely to be will they over mate the pullets you have and do you have enough pullets and hens to make over mating less likely and do you have a big enough pen and coop. Two cockerels will mean that the flock needs more space.

Edited to add that I now see you have sufficient females for them both, so they may get along since they have been brought up together.

Your problem is more likely to be will they over mate the pullets you have and do you have enough pullets and hens to make over mating less likely and do you have a big enough pen and coop. Two cockerels will mean that the flock needs more space.
I have a fairly large hen house and a smaller coop in a 20x30 fenced in yard that my sons are going to expand to 30x70. I hope that’s enough space. I also have 17 girls for them. I plan on having around 20-25 hens and hopefully that will keep them happy

Your best bet is to limit their contact once they get into teenager stage. If you have the room, separate them from the girls (but keep them together) in a bachelor flock. They will keep each other company without the hormonal pressure of needing to mate. If you want to breed one or the other of them, introduce them to their females separate from the other cockerel, or you will have fighting.
Thank you so much for this information. Thankfully I have the space to keep them separated

Back
Top Bottom