Pullet or Roo?? She is now 6 months old today.

Relynn

Songster
Apr 29, 2017
So, this is Sprite, and she is a bit mean. She attacks as if a rooster, so I am beginning to think she is a he... no eggs yet, so not any real way to say either or. I am thinking she may have killed my little silkie roo this morning, because I heard some squawking, but decided it could have been normal noise and left them alone. My husband found my roo being cuddled by the female silkies, and Sprite just walking on him. He brought Honey inside, and he died a few hours later... I am not sure what happened, but he was fine yesterday. Again, Sprite is 6 months old today, and this is not a guess, I got her when she was 2 days old and still had an egg tooth.
RN9a1j6TTOSctZ8s%GKo8w.jpg
vO2NsKA3QYuWCbCTltNq9g.jpg
lhmyfMgEQDeJqs8Y88uM7A.jpg
Mev4lSuzQ7aAA1VRd+tweA.jpg
3lOkbt0oQyKbOfgi+pTYSg.jpg
rBuPeVH2RF6bFk92EOe5eQ.jpg
Lh896y89QoiMUZVlBwi+xg.jpg
xQxeIAVJQim%YLgJWF3deg.jpg

Sorry to hear about your Silkie Roo :hit

Guessing Sprite to be a pullet, not seeing any saddle/hackle feathering. Comb is awfully red so she should start laying in a few months. If you approach her & she squats, it'll be a matter of weeks.

Is she the only LF with the Silkies? If you suspect her having killed the Silkie, I'd keep a very close eye on their interactions. What is the size of their Coop/Run, her grumpiness could be overcrowding.

Sorry to hear about your Silkie Roo :hit

Guessing Sprite to be a pullet, not seeing any saddle/hackle feathering. Comb is awfully red so she should start laying in a few months. If you approach her & she squats, it'll be a matter of weeks.

Is she the only LF with the Silkies? If you suspect her having killed the Silkie, I'd keep a very close eye on their interactions. What is the size of their Coop/Run, her grumpiness could be overcrowding.

The length of the run is 8 feet, and it is 4 feet wide. There were only 5 birds in it, so I am pretty certain it was not an overcrowding issue. The coop itself is 4 feet x 4 feet...

I’m sorry on the loss of your silkie. :(
Sprite looks like a pullet. If she is harassing the silkies you should remove her ASAP. You mentioned that she was stepping on your silkie rooster I think you should house Sprite in her own coop & run.

I agree with CR, looks boyish to me. You say Sprite is attacking? Who? If humans, that nails it! Silkies often can't do well with big birds, and need separate housing. If this bird is human aggressive, it should be time for the crock pot.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom