Pullet or roo?

Anna Campione

In the Brooder
May 26, 2017
IMG_1120.JPG IMG_1118.JPG IMG_1137.JPG IMG_1147.JPG IMG_1150.JPG new to the wonderful world of chickens and would love to hear what you guys think? This little one is about 7 weeks old, a blue laced red wyandotte and I'm not sure if it's a he or a she?!? Thanks in advance!

View attachment 1025405 View attachment 1025404 View attachment 1025406 View attachment 1025407 View attachment 1025408 new to the wonderful world of chickens and would love to hear what you guys think? This little one is about 7 weeks old, a blue laced red wyandotte and I'm not sure if it's a he or a she?!? Thanks in advance!

I'm new to chickens too. I have my first silver laced Wyandotte 10-11 weeks ago. I realized that this breed is not always as straight forward as others are. You either get pullets that look pulletish since early age, and also get pullets/cockerels that can be questionable as they grow, and also get boys that show male signs since very early.
My chick was questionable since week#3 up until week #9 of age: red comb and slight growth of wattles. Those never got too big though as time passed but remained -red-ish. I kept comparing her to pics of roosters of same age as she grew. Keep in mind my bird is hatchery quality.
With all of that, I'm trying to say, the longer you wait, the better when there's a concern about gender on any breed but especially a Wyandotte. But I can guess at this time for your bird that it looks more pullet to me than my pullet did when mine was 7wo. Hope that helps! Good luck and posts new pics to see! :)

Beautiful bird but, just don't know enough about the color/breed. For anything else I would think "red over wings" is a sign of doom (cockerels) but I imagine that is part of the coloring both sexes would have. :barnie

Back
Top Bottom