Pullet pooping blood?

Liza728w

Songster
Jul 22, 2020
Southern Ohio
I have a little 17 week old Serama pullet that I just got recently. 2 weeks into her quarantine (I'm SO glad I quarantined her!) , she started pooping blood. 5 days ago I started dosing her out with Corid to treat it like Coccidia. She has a lot more energy and her poops are less "diarrhea" like, but she is STILL pooping blood. Any ideas on what is going on? I read that Corid is supposed to stop bloody poop within 24-48 hours of the first dose. I've never dealt with chicken diseases before, so I'm not sure what to do!

The corid dose I'm using is 9.5cc in liquid form mixed into a gallon of water - changing it daily. I'm very thankful for any help I can get! :)

I have a little 17 week old Serama pullet that I just got recently. 2 weeks into her quarantine (I'm SO glad I quarantined her!) , she started pooping blood. 5 days ago I started dosing her out with Corid to treat it like Coccidia. She has a lot more energy and her poops are less "diarrhea" like, but she is STILL pooping blood. Any ideas on what is going on? I read that Corid is supposed to stop bloody poop within 24-48 hours of the first dose. I've never dealt with chicken diseases before, so I'm not sure what to do!

The corid dose I'm using is 9.5cc in liquid form mixed into a gallon of water - changing it daily. I'm very thankful for any help I can get! :)
Sometimes corid cannot stop coccidiosis and an antibiotic is needed. Pictures of her poop can help. What dosage of corid are you using? Liquid corid?

@azygous or @Wyorp Rock can assist you :)

Continued blood in the poop following Corid treatment may indicate a secondary bacterial infection caused by the coccidia inflaming the intestine. As @cherrynberry pointed out, an antibiotic is usually recommended in this case as the infection can quickly develop into necrotic enteritis and often the end result if untreated is death.

Any handy antibiotic will usually help, but a sulfa antibiotic is the best one for this particular type of infection.

Here's a place to order sulfa without a prescription. https://www.jedds.com/shop/trimethoprinsulfa-100-g-medpet/ But being in Oregon, there may be state law prohibiting them from shipping to your state unless you can get a vet to intervene.
Thank you SO much! The blood in her poop is completely gone now - it took two additional days on corid for it to go away. Her droppings look great now - no diarrhea no blood. :)

Do you know if Cocci is completely treatable? I bought this little serama to go in with my other two serama girls. One of my girls out in the coop has neurological problems so she has trouble pecking her food - it gets everywhere and she often eats a lot of her food off of the floor if she has the chance. I can't risk her getting Cocci. None of my birds have cocci and I'm wondering if it's even worth keeping the little serama that is still in quarantine. I'd imagine it can live on her feathers and on the ground where she was at?

She finished her round of Corid, so I completely cleaned out her cage and gave her a long bath to get her nice and clean. I moved her inside because of the rainy weather here in Oregon. She is super active and eating fine now. She still needs to gain some of her weight back. I feel so bad because she seems so lonely. I just don't know what to do from here - to find her a new home, or somehow make sure all of the cocci is gone. Is that even possible? :\

Thank you SO much! The blood in her poop is completely gone now - it took two additional days on corid for it to go away. Her droppings look great now - no diarrhea no blood. :)

Do you know if Cocci is completely treatable? I bought this little serama to go in with my other two serama girls. One of my girls out in the coop has neurological problems so she has trouble pecking her food - it gets everywhere and she often eats a lot of her food off of the floor if she has the chance. I can't risk her getting Cocci. None of my birds have cocci and I'm wondering if it's even worth keeping the little serama that is still in quarantine. I'd imagine it can live on her feathers and on the ground where she was at?

She finished her round of Corid, so I completely cleaned out her cage and gave her a long bath to get her nice and clean. I moved her inside because of the rainy weather here in Oregon. She is super active and eating fine now. She still needs to gain some of her weight back. I feel so bad because she seems so lonely. I just don't know what to do from here - to find her a new home, or somehow make sure all of the cocci is gone. Is that even possible? :\
Coccidia is found in soil. Its everywhere. A bird can get coccisiosis if they cannot handle it.

Treating the little Serama for coccidia was wise, and it will have gotten every last bit if she was carrying any as long as you did the second followup round to catch any eggs that may have hatched. Coccicia can live in the intestines in very small numbers and not make the chicken sick, but if she pooped any out and your other chickens happened to pick up any as they hunted for grit, they could have been infected with coccidia they had no resistance to. Then you would have been off to the races with a new coccidia infection in your flock.

So, if she hasn't had the followup round yet, keep her quarantined until after she completes it.

Back
Top Bottom