Pullet puberty

Ohh! I didn't rea you other thread, that is hilarious, it's almost like she is being protective! That is funny! She must be very attached to you or something! I've had this advice for roosters, but maybe when you think she is gonna bite you, or she does, just look at her, raise your hand and say, "No" in a stern voice, just to make yourself heard. i don't know if it will really make a difference, but to me, but hopefully she will mellow ou after she goes through her egg starting period. Starting to lay can be stressful for some hens so maybe she's just stressed out and taking it out on you! :D

I've read a lot about the males going through puberty and all the drama associated with that. But how about the girls? How does being hormonal affect them in terms of behavior? I've also read that they mellow out a lot after they start laying. Does that mean that they're drama queens up until that point? My pullets are 21 weeks old and not laying yet. The one that's closest to laying (based on the butt check, though her comb is still pale pink) has been acting very grumpy lately. She had some jealousy issues (which have their own thread). That has improved, but now she occasionally pecks me for no reason, even when I'm not holding any of the other chickens (which was her trigger before). And I don't mean the usual "let me get that freckle off for you" kind of curious peck, but pinching and twisting until she leaves a deep bruise that takes a week to clear up... She's an Orp and has always been very sweet and mellow, and was very attached to me when younger, so this is taking me by surprise now. A couple other Orps are acting a bit weird, too. The Barnevelders are chill, no behavior change there, even though they're the same age (but also, they are the farthest from POL, so maybe that's a factor?) I'm curious to see what people with more adolescent chicken experience think.
I honestly compare my flock to having 16, pre-teen girls in a small house! I had 3 daughters and they all acted like I was the enemy for a year or two. My clucks are 6 months old and are Australorps and Brahmas who were the sweetest, snuggliest little things ever….until this past week. I have 1 Australorp hen who bites a plug out of me if I put my hand down! Surprised the heck out of me!!
Now she just crowds me when I go out and she’s my brahma roosters favorite so he’s right there too!!! Yike!!!!! Everyone else is sweet…. But ouch!!!! Sure hope they improve!! My kids did. 😉

Back
Top Bottom