Pullet Puffed up Eyes closed

She does seem better. Continue with the sugar water and give her at least 600mg of calcium each day for the next few days. You can probably just pop the tablet into her beak.

What we want to see is her standing and alert and eating on her own. Then, when she lays the next egg, it needs to be a good shell. If she can do all that, she's going to be okay.
She is eating on her own some mash and eggs with crushed calcium citrate D3.
Her vent is constantly puckering ...is that a sign of being egg bound?
I don't feel an egg under her vent there between her legs...I just feel her hips.

You won't feel an egg unless it's stuck in the cloaca. Most stuck eggs are in the shell gland where it's not easy to feel.

If she has a stuck egg, the calcium will help to generate contractions to get it out. You will know she's out of crisis when she's acting normally again.

You won't feel an egg unless it's stuck in the cloaca. Most stuck eggs are in the shell gland where it's not easy to feel.

If she has a stuck egg, the calcium will help to generate contractions to get it out. You will know she's out of crisis when she's acting normally again.
She acting normal but no egg...
How is she normal again after being so bad yesterday morning?
Could it have been just hypothermia? Cuz she's not beak breathing anymore and out with the others doin fine.

Last edited:
When a chicken is in obvious distress, low blood sugar is often part of it, whatever the cause. Sugar can be one of the most important items in your chicken first aid kit. That and electrolytes which have just as important a role in restoring fluid levels. Dehydration and low glucose are the most common disorders in a very sick chicken. They are also the most easily and quickly treated. The sick chicken almost always responds within hours. It can mean the difference between life and death.

This isn't to say these are a miracle cure. They restore chemical balance and offers time to figure out what is the underlying issue and coming up with a treatment.

Continue to monitor her behavior and poop. If she has a watery discharge, it can mean a stuck egg. Push fluids and keep offering her special foods such as egg, boiled rice with yogurt, applesauce, and dry feed.

When a chicken is in obvious distress, low blood sugar is often part of it, whatever the cause. Sugar can be one of the most important items in your chicken first aid kit. That and electrolytes which have just as important a role in restoring fluid levels. Dehydration and low glucose are the most common disorders in a very sick chicken. They are also the most easily and quickly treated. The sick chicken almost always responds within hours. It can mean the difference between life and death.

This isn't to say these are a miracle cure. They restore chemical balance and offers time to figure out what is the underlying issue and coming up with a treatment.

Continue to monitor her behavior and poop. If she has a watery discharge, it can mean a stuck egg. Push fluids and keep offering her special foods such as egg, boiled rice with yogurt, applesauce, and dry feed.
She's had rice and dry feed today as well.
Thank you so much!!!
Should I continue with the Tylan 50 or stop?

Tylan 50 for five days. Finish it if you haven't yet. She looks like a normal chicken. :wee

I had a chicken last September almost die at my feet from heat stroke. I scooped her up and gave her sugar water and electrolytes directy into her crop via tubing, and she was like Lizzy, normal again a few hours later.

Tylan 50 for five days. Finish it if you haven't yet. She looks like a normal chicken. :wee

I had a chicken last September almost die at my feet from heat stroke. I scooped her up and gave her sugar water and electrolytes directy into her crop via tubing, and she was like Lizzy, normal again a few hours later.
I sure will! And thank you ever so much!!!

Back
Top Bottom