Pullet quit laying eggs. Good chuckle if you need one today. Now the rest of the story...

Idaho Chicken Bungalow

Crossing the Road
Jul 23, 2021
Southern Idaho
I have a pullet who quit laying after a few weeks of regular eggs. I checked her last night and she had poopy butt. I washed her up and kept her in the house. I kept her in to dry as it was below zero with wind chill. WAIT FOR IT....I lifted her up and turned her over to check and she pooped liquid white diarrhea on my face. I am in shock. yes, because of the type of poop and the fact it landed on my face

Yesterday was the first day of full sunshine as we have had inversion/foggy weather for weeks. All the other girls layed but her. AND she has been acting weird. I have her in still as I do want to monitor her eating and drinking and well pooping but not so closely this time. Bonus....I had my mouth closed and glassed on. My third graders love my chicken stories...do I dare share this one?

I would have DIED
I can’t even deal with the poop getting on my hands when I pick them up 😩
Believe me, I have been walking back and forth thinking how lucky I was I couldn't smell it and that it didn't go in my mouth. I keep looking hat her and she knows I'm contemplating chicken soup for dinner.

Sorry, but I just laughed out loud. :lau

A good way of checking if the poop is normal is to see how it tastes. Did it taste sour when it landed in your mouth?

JOKING. Lol.

Poopy butt is commonly caused by stress and sometimes cold weather. I think your pullet stopped laying eggs because of the sunlight hours and cold weather.
I'm glad you got a good chuckle. It's the crazy things no one would believe that get us out of a funk. I've been worried about her all night.

I'm glad you got a good chuckle. It's the crazy things no one would believe that get us out of a funk. I've been worried about her all night.
I'm worried. I took her outside and she went off by herself so, I brought her back in. She was only drinking yesterday and last night. B- complex/ probiotic water. I made some scramble eggs and gave her a bit. she took a bite turned around and literally pooped in the bowl. I took the opportunity to inspect it. It was runny but green. I finally gave her a few meal worms, she ate those. I could hear a gurgle belly rumble like we get. This morning she was still drinking and again I gave a couple meal worms in her feed. she started eating a bit of feed. I changed out her water B-complex. probiotics and apple cider vinegar. Her comb is bright red.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom