Pullet quit laying eggs. Good chuckle if you need one today. Now the rest of the story...

Did the vet run any diagnostics to test for Salmonella, worms, etc.?

How old is this pullet? A full mature Hamburg only weighs around 4lb +/_ so...hard to know if she's underweight, how did he determine that?
She is 6 months. Collected a sample of poo, no worms or parasites. x-ray showed there her not to be eggbound. he was concerned about the projectile diarrhea, He has not tested for Salmonella, but that would be a last resort. She is skin on bone. Gosh, I'm drawing a blank at what the other disease it could be he mentioned (it is treatable with antibiotics) so he gave her a shot and I will give her two doses orally. She could have it and not the rest of the flock because she is the only one sick. It's what we could get if we don't wash out hands after handling them.

I will be away from my computer until tomorrow afternoon.
right now She is literally laying in front of the yam/crumble mix and eating it. Slow, but still eating. My question. Should I take away the water for a few hours so her food will stick. Because she eats then drinks and projectile poops

Do you mind sharing the name of the antibiotic the vet prescribed (just because I'm curious. I'm certainly not questioning your vet)? A year or so ago Azygous and Wyorp Rock helped save one of my hens that had a very serious life threatening infection (possibly C.Perfringens) . The chance of recovery is 50/50, probably less. Whatever you do, make sure you don't miss her antibiotic. If she's eating her food, that's a good sign.

I don't have the heart to get her out of her pop up tent booder. I had to hold it together for a zoom call that just ended. I'm a hot mess.
I am so sorry. It’s so hard to loose our babies, they really do waddle into our hearts. Your girl knew she was loved. You gave her the best possible card you could, there was nothing more you could have done.
You did way more for your girl than a lot of members I know would have done. It gets better, I promise. Thats coming from someone who lost a lot of hens last year, it never gets easier. It does get better though. Time heals all wounds. You'll be able to learn so much form her. How to spot illness before it gets to bad, and this thread will be very helpful for anyone else in your shoes in the future. I'm so sorry. :hugs:hugs*Hugs*

I don't have the heart to get her out of her pop up tent booder. I had to hold it together for a zoom call that just ended. I'm a hot mess.
So sorry. Its hard to see them go isn't it? When I lost my first bird, I cried like a baby. When I lost my first dog, well, that was by far the worst pain I have felt. My heart hurts for you. :(

Back
Top Bottom