Pullet stopped laying (and “squatting”)

Sunshade82

Songster
Sep 10, 2020
SW Utah
Hi all!
So one of my 7 month old pullets decided to stop laying after 2 months. I know there’s a variety of possible reasons for a layer to stop but she seems healthy and happy so I’m letting her freeload for now 😉
I’ve also noticed that she no longer does the submissive squat when I walk up to her. Is this typical for a layer who is taking a break? I’m more curious than anything.
(Btw they only have free range time with me watching so I don’t believe there’s a secret nest. Plus she has the loudest egg song ever and I haven’t heard it all week.)

I thought the first year, the lack of light didn’t affect them? My other girls are pretty regular still.
Well for anyone else who has had their girls take a break...do they stop squatting? If so I just find that really interesting. If not maybe she doesn’t see me as the boss anymore 😆

Well for anyone else who has had their girls take a break...do they stop squatting? If so I just find that really interesting. If not maybe she doesn’t see me as the boss anymore 😆

It's not that (well, not solely that). They may still squat in deference to you, but if their hormones aren't at a level for them to lay, they also won't do a mating squat for you - there's no point in mating if they're not laying and thus have 0% chance of reproducing from it.

Last edited:
It's not that (well, not solely that). They may still squat in deference to you, but if their hormones aren't at a level for them to lay, they also won't do a mating squat for you - if there's no point in mating if they're not laying and thus have 0% chance of reproducing from it.
That makes sense. Although a little inconvenient...Her squatting was the only way I could ever catch her 😂 she’s so fast.

I thought the first year, the lack of light didn’t affect them? My other girls are pretty regular still.

A lot depends upon the breed of the birds involved. Some breeds have been selected/bred for qualities other than high production.

If hens are not laying, their hormonal levels are down and the need/desire for mating goes away.

A lot depends upon the breed of the birds involved. Some breeds have been selected/bred for qualities other than high production.

If hens are not laying, their hormonal levels are down and the need/desire for mating goes away.
She’s an Austra White and I’m really not sure what her qualities are...if she even has any😂

It makes sense about the hormones and the mating squat going away too. As long as she’s healthy we’ll just let her do her thing.

It’ll be interesting to see if anyone else stops laying their first winter. I’m thinking it will just be her though. Matches her “I do what I want” personality. 😉

She’s an Austra White and I’m really not sure what her qualities are...if she even has any😂

It makes sense about the hormones and the mating squat going away too. As long as she’s healthy we’ll just let her do her thing.

It’ll be interesting to see if anyone else stops laying their first winter. I’m thinking it will just be her though. Matches her “I do what I want” personality. 😉
What do you feed your flock?

Back
Top Bottom