Pullet with a squishy lump on her neck that is growing

I have not seen that type of lesion on the skin either. You are treating as I probably would. I have seen dosage of amoxicillin as 57mg per pound given twice a day orally for 10 days. I would be thinking of giving Corid just in case of coccidiosis, but if your vet could do a fecal float plus a gram stain for bacteria, that would be best. I hope the chick starts to perk up with the antibiotic.

Where the scabs are is there a nasty smell, especially if you open one up? Does the skin in the area feel soft or spongy? Can you find lesions on any other part of the body such as the wings?

Dosage doesn't need to be precise. I would break open the 250mg capsul and divide it in half or into quarters. You will be shooting for 125mg per day for ten days.

An easy way to give the powder instead of the capsule is to take a tiny bit of bread and dab olive oil on it, then sop to powder dose with it until all the powder of the dose is stuck to the bread. Then the patient will take the bread readily. If she's too sick to eat the bread on her own, then pry open her beak and shove the bit of bread into her mouth.

For the first day, I would give 250mg over the course of the day to get a lot of the antibiotic into her system to overwhelm the bacteria. Then tomorrow, go to 125mg per day. You can give it all in one dose or divide it into two doses, which is a better practice.
Thank you for the details on dosing, especially on alternatives to pilling. Good to know. I hunted on the internet last night for mg/kg and came up with something similar. I prepped capsules for this morning, but unfortunately, she passed away. There's an additional photo below.

I have not seen that type of lesion on the skin either. You are treating as I probably would. I have seen dosage of amoxicillin as 57mg per pound given twice a day orally for 10 days. I would be thinking of giving Corid just in case of coccidiosis, but if your vet could do a fecal float plus a gram stain for bacteria, that would be best. I hope the chick starts to perk up with the antibiotic.
Hi Eggcessive,

Thank you for your thoughts on this. Unfortunately, she passed this morning. There's an additional photo below.

Where the scabs are is there a nasty smell, especially if you open one up? Does the skin in the area feel soft or spongy? Can you find lesions on any other part of the body such as the wings?
Hi FFH2,
Thanks for responding. There wasn't a bad smell with the scabs when I worked on them. The skin was more firm than spongy. I found new lesions on her side this morning. None on the wings.
20211107_095846_Burst01.jpg

I hope this wasn't Marek's.

Oh, I am sorry that you lost her. Can you try to get a necropsy on Monday by your state vet to look for what might have killed her? Mareks disease has a skin form, but it could be other things. Keep the body cold in the fridge or a cooler wrapped in 2 clean garbage bags, but do not freeze. Here is a list of state vets:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Back
Top Bottom