Pullet with a squishy lump on her neck that is growing

I’m so sorry she passed! My guess would be that the lesions were from gangrenous dermatitis, which may or may not have occurred in conjunction with another disease. Make sure to thoroughly disinfect anything they came into contact with, to minimize the risk of spread.

I’m so sorry she passed! My guess would be that the lesions were from gangrenous dermatitis, which may or may not have occurred in conjunction with another disease. Make sure to thoroughly disinfect anything they came into contact with, to minimize the risk of spread.
Thank you. I'll have to look that one up. I'm washing, then bleaching the crate today...outside.

Oh, I am sorry that you lost her. Can you try to get a necropsy on Monday by your state vet to look for what might have killed her? Mareks disease has a skin form, but it could be other things. Keep the body cold in the fridge or a cooler wrapped in 2 clean garbage bags, but do not freeze. Here is a list of state vets:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
The UC Davis CA Animal Health & Food Safety Lab website was down yesterday. I just accessed the form and hope to drive her there tomorrow for necropsy. I'll update once I get the results.

The lab at UC Davis sent me the reports. I'm posting this here in case it may help someone in the future. The initial exam results were: "Thin body condition...Marek's disease is what I am suspecting and the lesions in the skin, liver, and kidney could be due to this." In the final report, after it was sent to the lab: "The histopathologic lesions observed in the various tissues are consistent with a diagnosis of lymphoproliferative disease, most likely Marek's disease due to the involvement of the brain and peripheral nerves."
My takeaway from this experience: Always quarantine new chickens from your existing flock. You just never know. They looked healthy at first, but became sick and died before the end of the 30 days.
It's a bummer, because I was looking forward to having young hens again and the wonderful eggs they lay. Maybe I'll have to wait until spring for pullets. :(

I've finally scanned the report for upload. Hope someone finds this helpful.

Attachments

• UC Davis Necropsy Report for Chloe for BYC pg 1 of 3.pdf
    47 KB · Views: 4
  • UC Davis Necropsy Report for Chloe for BYC pg 2 of 3.pdf
    41 KB · Views: 3
  • UC Davis Necropsy Report for Chloe for BYC pg 3 of 3.pdf
    41.6 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom