Pullet with Closed and Inflamed Eye- why?

GertrudeLover01

Songster
7 Years
Mar 20, 2012
Murfreesboro, TN
Hi everyone! I have a supposedly 18 week old Ameraucana pullet (I say supposedly because she is so much smaller than her same aged sister). Over the last week, her eye has become inflamed and closed. She also has become very skinny despite eating pretty normally. I have tried washing the eye with a warm washcloth but that doesn't help. This issue happened once before when she was about 11 weeks old, but it resolved on its own before getting as serious as it is now. Does anyone know why this is happening or, more importantly, how to stop it? Also, does anyone have any advice about combating her skinniness? Thank you in advance for any help!

The eye in question- sorry for blurriness!

There are many causes of swollen eyes from dust/debris to bacterial infection to respiratory illness.

Try flushing her eye with saline and get it open so you can take a good look at it. See if there is any debris (dust, bedding, feed) in her eye. Look for any signs of pus and clean it out.

After flushing the eye, if it is still swollen you can apply some Vetericyn Eye Gel or Terramycin Eye Ointment in the eye to see if that helps.

T
There are many causes of swollen eyes from dust/debris to  bacterial infection to respiratory illness.

Try flushing her eye with saline and get it open so you can take a good look at it. See if there is any debris (dust, bedding, feed) in her eye. Look for any signs of pus and clean it out.

After flushing the eye, if it is still swollen you can apply some Vetericyn Eye Gel or Terramycin Eye Ointment in the eye to see if that helps.

Thank you! I'll try that.

Back
Top Bottom