Pullet with loss of balance, lethargic

Chicks 'n ducks

Songster
Jan 23, 2018
Northern Colorado
I have an 8 month old silkie pullet who recently began showing signs of some sort of illness. She doesn't move much if at all and if you move her she loses her balance and begins flapping her wings to keep herself upright. Her rear end is poopy and her poop is bright green in some places. She has a good appetite. I had a hen with balance issues before which cleared up really quick after she was given vitamin water. I tried the same with this hen and I didn't see much of a change. I don't think this is Marek's but I couldn't be sure. Any thoughts?

How long has she had this issue?

Mereks or lymphoid luekosis are possible causes in chickens unfortunately, though there are other possibilities.

Could she have swallowed something she shouldn’t have, metal bits, any rat poison or pesticides in the area?

Bright green poo can indicate a liver problem, avian chlamydiosis, hardware disease, or they can be that color if she hasn’t eaten in a few days.

I noticed it yesterday, she was fine before this. I observed her more today. One of her legs she doesn't put her weight on, and it is always moving up and down like something is going on with the nerve, possibly. Because of this she is having a really hard time walking. I have had many sick chickens over the years and they seem to be completely listless, lethargic, and miserable. With this pullet she is chatty, hungry, and keeps her head up and seems alert, which makes me think something different is going on than illnesses I have delt with in the past. I suppose it could be Mareks, I know it can cause paralysis of the legs.

Calling @Eggcessive !!! (whose name I've seen pop up on more than a few of these threads over the years).

Picture(s) of the poop would help. Also -

When did she last lay an egg?
Panting/Labored Breathing?
Splayed Legs?

The fact that the chick maintains an appetite (together with my relative inexperience) has me too uncertain to offer a potential diagnosis.

It does sound like Mareks could be a possibility since her one leg seems to be weak. But it doesn’t hurt to try treating for a vitamin deficiency with human vitamin B complex 1/4 tablet daily given orally in food or water, or for an injury. Make sure that she can alsway reach food and water. If others pick on her, she may need to be in a dog crate where she can still see the others and spend time. Two ways that Mareks can be diagnosed are with a necropsy done by your state vet, or by collecting a small blood sample for a lab, such as this one, to send in with the collecting material they send you:
http://www.vetdna.com/application/forms/aviansubmittalform.pdf

She hasn't started laying yet, my birds tend to start late. Her breathing isn't labored and her legs aren't splayed. Is there anything at all I can do for her if it is in fact Mareks?

She hasn't started laying yet, my birds tend to start late. Her breathing isn't labored and her legs aren't splayed. Is there anything at all I can do for her if it is in fact Mareks?
Whatever happened with your chicken? Did she recover? I hope so! If so, how long did it take?

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. She hung in there for quite some time but eventually she passed away. She had gotten worse and then just plateaued, and couldn't get around or eat on her own.

It does sound like Mareks could be a possibility since her one leg seems to be weak. But it doesn’t hurt to try treating for a vitamin deficiency with human vitamin B complex 1/4 tablet daily given orally in food or water, or for an injury. Make sure that she can alsway reach food and water. If others pick on her, she may need to be in a dog crate where she can still see the others and spend time. Two ways that Mareks can be diagnosed are with a necropsy done by your state vet, or by collecting a small blood sample for a lab, such as this one, to send in with the collecting material they send you:
http://www.vetdna.com/application/forms/aviansubmittalform.pdf

It's a Silkie, so I'd consider Wry Neck too!

If it were my bird, I'd add Vitamin-E and Selenium to the mix of vitamins you've suggested.

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. She hung in there for quite some time but eventually she passed away. She had gotten worse and then just plateaued, and couldn't get around or eat on her own.
Sorry for your loss. Have you seen any others with problems? It could be good to get a necropsy by the state vet where you live, if you should lose another.

Back
Top Bottom