Pullet with poopy butt and....

I recall that thread. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/odd-egg-coating.1410306/ @aart and I both had our theories about what could have caused that strange shroud over the egg. At the time, I had a thought this young hen could have a glitch in her shell gland that could get her into trouble at some point.

If my theory was anywhere in the ballpark, she could have been releasing two eggs at a time from her ovary. Eventually, one could get stuck since the shell gland usually only has enough calcium for one egg each day.

The calcium tablet, one a day, will help her contractions to expel any egg material inside. Calcium also helps to regulate the hen's egg cycle. So, hopefully, this will kill two birds (pun not intended) with one calcium tablet. Continue one tablet a day until this hen is laying normally again.

I cleaned and trimmed her butt. She snacked on a little scratch and went to the coop. She DID stop at the oyster shell bucket and eat according to the wife.

Stuffing 600mg calcium pill down a chicken neck is no joke. Is there an easier way??

Easier for you or for the chicken? Chickens have no problem swallowing large pills. It really is the easiest way to dose a chicken and get the precise dose into them.

Here's my tutorial on chickens and large pills:

We think chickens must have a problem swallowing a large pill just because we do. But their digestive process is different from ours. We begin the digestive process by chewing first, then swallowing. We aren't meant to swallow large chunks. We naturally choke.

Chickens don't have teeth for a good reason. They don't need them. Their digestive process begins after they swallow. The food goes directly into their crop without passing "Go", and then it trickles down into their gizzard where the "chewing" action goes into full swing.

Therefore, chickens can amaze us by swallowing things that we think would choke them, large pills included. But they actually have no problem. Slip the pill into the beak and you'll see it disappear like magic. Unless you don't get it far enough back on the tongue. Chickens can rival dogs and cats at firing a pill across the room like a guided missile, but it's not because they aren't able to swallow it easily.

I think the trick to opening the beak is to pull down gently on the wattles. Does she have wattles you can get hold of with one hand while poking the pill down with the other? Remember, these "delicate" beasts can swallow a mouse with one gulp! 🤣

@BuckeyeAmy69 if chickens had teeth then giving a pill to a chicken could be as dangerous as bull riding. :lau

Some chickens, such as baby chicks and Easter-eggers don't have wattles, so pilling them is more of a challenge. No matter the age or size of the chicken, put your weak hand around the back of the chicken's head. Be ready to insert one of those fingers into the open beak to keep it open. My hands are too small to use the same hand to slip a couple finger into the sides of the beak to pry it open, so I do it with my other hand. I just put a finger nail into the crack of the beak enough to work my fingers of the other hand into the beak to hold it open.

You will not hurt your chicken anymore than having a dentist stick his hands in your mouth hurts you. Oh. Wait.

I guess the ‘Pry and Pray’ method is the normal. Thanks everyone. Plan is to leave them locked in their coop and run. No extras, just poke a calcium pill down her throat once a day and wait to see what develops.

I have to have my son help hold the bird. I don't think I could do it by myself. I can barely get a leg band on by myself! :lol: I tried pulling down on the wattles and that just doesn't work. It seems to make them even more intent on keeping their mouths shut! I grab the upper beak with forefinger and thumb and apply enough pressure to get her to open without causing discomfort. Once the beak opens, I slide my thumb inside the mouth to keep it open. I should mention I only have large breeds, so my thumb isn't that much of a mouthful considering these ladies can swallow mice.

Good luck! Hope it goes easy for you.

Back
Top Bottom