Pullet with very swollen leg and foot backwards Help !

jeni1209

Chirping
6 Years
May 7, 2015
Tallahassee Fl
My 8 wk old chick has a very swollen leg and her foot is pointing back and will barely stand on the ankle with toes backwards. It happened suddenly and can’t get the swelling out of the upper leg. Is it sprained? What can I do? Thanks in advance Jen

Attachments

• D2C1268A-87E1-4CD7-9F9E-47B40B5B901B.jpeg
    D2C1268A-87E1-4CD7-9F9E-47B40B5B901B.jpeg
    607.9 KB · Views: 45
  • 9C6BA80C-90C1-4F60-BE7B-D967AE5F0FA9.jpeg
    9C6BA80C-90C1-4F60-BE7B-D967AE5F0FA9.jpeg
    604.7 KB · Views: 10
  • DBFC98B9-C584-43EC-AD08-49F38671B269.jpeg
    DBFC98B9-C584-43EC-AD08-49F38671B269.jpeg
    592.2 KB · Views: 10
Have you had her long? Can you make sure that she has no leg band, string or hair wrapped around her leg under those feathers? She may have a broken or sprained leg if there in no leg band cutting off circulation. Her toes are curled under, and that can be a sign of nerve injury and sometimes riboflavin (vitamin B 2) deficiency. Can she move her toes and leg? Place her in a crate or basket to force her to rest the leg.

Hi, no there is no band or anything, her upper leg is 3x the size of her other, she won’t move her toes and I’ve had her resting for a week now, with no change. She was hatched naturally at a friend’s house with 5 others and was out free ranging when this happened. I’ve soaked in warm epsom salt, tried wrapping, also aspirin. She’s eating, drinking and pooping normal. What else can I try? Thanks Jen

Can you unfold the toes to a normal flat position without hurting her? You might be able to make her a shoe to keep her foot and toes in a normal position while she heals. Since it has been a week, it may be too late to splint her leg if it is broken. If she has been walking around on it she may have caused more damage and causing it to swell. I am not a vet, but I would try to see one if possible, for an xray.

On pages 23-24 of this splinting manual, there is a model of a foot splint you can make for her toes out of a plastic foam meat tray or cardboard:
https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf

If you can locate the exact area where she may have sprained or broken the leg, there are more splinting ideas. If she jumped and her toes bent under her foot, that could have caused a bad injury.

You can’t reduce it, but it should go down on it’s own. It is like having a sprained ankle, it will go down eventually as long as it is not wrapped tight. Do you know of those aluminum padded finger splints? You could use one molded to her foot and ankle, and tape or vet wrap it lightly to keep her toes and ankle set. This is one below, but I would place it on the bottom of the foot and leg:
https://sunnysideupfarmhome.files.wordpress.com/2020/08/fracture-leg-1.jpg?w=320&h=&zoom=2

It seems to hurt her where her upper leg connects to her body and that’s where it’s badly swollen.
Upper leg injuries are harder to heal. That could be a dislocation or a fracture. It does seem like she has some nerve involvement. Chicken slings can be helpful for chickens with lameness or leg injuries if they will stay in them.

Back
Top Bottom