Pullets ate toadstool

Renee

Songster
11 Years
May 7, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Hi all, and thanks for your collective wisdom and coop ideas (Monica, I copied your coop!),
After carefully reading everything I could on chickens, building a coop, a run, and a little yard planted with yummy annual grasses that were not listed as toxic for chickens, picking up every pepper tree berry that fell into the grassy yard and removing all of the ivy from the chain link fence, I finally let my fourteen six-week old (today) chickens into the grassy yard for a quick supervised visit. Wouldn't you know it, two of the silver campine pullets discovered a toadstool under a leaf and devoured it before I could shoo the chickens off my lap, get up off the ground, and stop them.
Will they die?
Renee

They'll probably be fine. With their fast metabolism, any symptoms should show in a few hours. I don't do anything special for my birds and they are alive. The eat all kinds of stuff and I'm sure there are plenty of no-no's out there that they seem to just ignore.

Update: The two silver campine pullets that ate the toadstool are fine this morning. I am no judge of the edibility of mushrooms, so it is possible they actually ate a nonsense, not a toadstool.
Renee

Back
Top Bottom