Pullets from Meyers

KowTippin

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 11, 2013
Did anyone purchase pullets from Meyers during their open house in June? Just wondering if anyone’s have started laying yet? We got two each of the white rocks, speckled sussex, and barred rocks. I was told they were 16-20 weeks old at purchase but ours haven’t started laying yet (now 10 weeks after purchase!!)... I was hoping to get some fresh eggs before it gets cold here and they won’t lay much over winter!! I’ve always purchased from Meyers and they typically would be laying by now.

What are you feeding, how much water are they getting?

They won't lay if they get too little light or water.

Same layer feed I’ve always used. They have a 5 gallon waterer that gets dumped and filled fresh every day and they always have water left so they never drink it dry. They’re in a run all day so not a sunlight issue. Doing everything I’ve done with all of my flocks in the past.

If they're not laying then they don't need to be on layer ration. They should be on a grower or all flock. They need more protein while they are still growing.

If they're not laying then they don't need to be on layer ration. They should be on a grower or all flock. They need more protein while they are still growing.
Ok I’ll try that! They were already on a layer feed when I got them but I’ll try a grower feed! Thanks!

I'm also wondering if they weren't as old as you were told they were when you got them. Do you have pictures by chance of them when you got them?

They should definitely be laying for you. Sometimes birds get a little funny about being moved/stressed and take a little break. Also is there any signs of molting currently? all of my girls are on an egg laying hiatus for the last few weeks due to a heavy molt. Our Started Pullets are sold at 18-22 weeks old and should definitely be of laying age.

Manda

Ok I’ll try that! They were already on a layer feed when I got them but I’ll try a grower feed! Thanks!
Make sure the 'grower' feed has more protein than the layer feed.

I'm also wondering if they weren't as old as you were told they were when you got them. Do you have pictures by chance of them when you got them?
Was wondering the same.

Back
Top Bottom