Pullets hatched September 2012 & waiting for eggs?

Truthfully, I'm waiting on all four of my girls to start laying. Only one of them has an excuse as to why she isn't laying. She had been attacked by a hawk about a month or two back and is regrowing her feathers.. up until then, she had been the only one laying (she is the oldest at 1 and a half years). My oldest pullet was hatched at the end of April and still hasn't laid an egg...

Truthfully, I'm waiting on all four of my girls to start laying. Only one of them has an excuse as to why she isn't laying. She had been attacked by a hawk about a month or two back and is regrowing her feathers.. up until then, she had been the only one laying (she is the oldest at 1 and a half years). My oldest pullet was hatched at the end of April and still hasn't laid an egg...

I'm sorry about your hen. What breed is your oldest pullet? I've seen so many people say their chickens started laying at 20 weeks and wonder if anything is wrong with my pullet. I guess I'll have to give her time.

Hi all
Success at last. One of my four hens finally laid an egg on Valentines Day. Feels like we have been waiting forever. I think it was my Australorp who is 22 week. Can't wait for the rest to start laying.

:D

My barn yard mix, hatched the end of August or the first of Sept, leghorn× barred rock started laying area weeks ago - we had lights on all winter.

My barnyard mix, hatched Aug / Sept, silver laced wyandottes x barred rock cross has laid 4 eggs. She had lights all winter too.

Some chickens take longer to lay than others. And some conditions make them take longer to lay. Some chickens bought from certain hatcheries take longer to start laying. Some breeds take longer to lay.

The combs of your birds should give you an idea of when they should start laying. Are the combs pink or red? If red how long ago did they turn red?

Back
Top Bottom