1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pullets have questionable coloring?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Whittni, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    EDIT EDIT: I'm so sorry to say but my babies died yesterday while I was at school. The heat got to them, I have others but only the two I bought from the farmer man died so I assume it was his fault, for not taking better care of the babies he sold to me, I will not buy anymore from him and I think after having these babes for 3 days and them dying is terrible, I think they might have been sick when I got them. Thank god I take care of my chickens and it was a shock to find them in their cage like that. I cried for hours. My mom barried them. RIP sickly? baby chicks. [​IMG]

Well these are my newest girls, Brookelynn and (unnamed) ... I was wondering what color you guys think they are? I guessed partridge rock on the smaller chick:

EDIT: The white one IS a hen, its just hard to show you guys pictures. There isn't a single bit of pink on the comb or waddles, the personality also says says they are both hens + the reaction/reaction tests are awesome and they rarely fail. (swoosh hand across cage, hens sit - roo's stand and watch ... both babies sit when scared, tell me that makes one of them a rooster, its simply not true) Nice try though, I've sexed many many baby chicks and done it the right way [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  2. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Are they hatchery birds ??

3. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    ........................... I can't see any pics. [​IMG]

4. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    al6517: I'm not sure, I bought them from a farmer and sexed them myself. Apparently they are purebreds of his chicken trios...he has over 30 different breeds ... so they can be just about anything.
    MagicPigeon: They are there, what browser are you using? here's one of the URLs:link

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  5. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    how many different kinds of chickens have green legs?

EE, Aracauna, Sicilian buttercup (but the wrong colors)....any more...?

6. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    IDK on the partridge bird other than that the leg color looks wrong for a Rock. The black & white one appears to have EE legs and rusty red splotches emerging on his back.

7. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    Partridge bird looks like a partridge OEGB
    Some OEGB colors have green legs but not sure what the other is

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I'm sorry but there's a lot of misinformed "breeders" out there - Your birds aren't all purebred. [​IMG] The black and white one is an Easter Egger (mutt, the farmer probably thought as his hatchery source told him that they're Ameraucanas) Also, it's a boy.

The brown and black one is likely a Partridge Rock. (purebred [​IMG] )

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The black and white one has a single comb, no beard or muffs, so not sure it's an EE, even with green legs. Probably just a mutt chicken of some sort.

10. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Quote:X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by