1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

pullets jumping at each other?? like roos

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jaygood787, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Jaygood787

Jaygood787 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2011
    Maine
    ive got 4 pullets that are about 14 weeks old... the buff , RIR, and red sex link all jump at each other and frill their neck
    feathers like they are roo's... Anyone else ever experience this??

2. I<3Overalls

I<3Overalls Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2011
    I have four girls too, two RIRs and two Golden SLs and they did the same thing for a while. They are probably just figuring out who's who in the pecking order. Two of mine were kind of confused because one was smarter and one was bigger so it took a while for them to settle down. I'm no expert though, I just know that mine mellowed out after a while [​IMG] Hope that helps!

3. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Have you posted pics in the breed/gender section to see if they could be roos?? The only 2 that would do that were in fact roos.

4. Maisie1

Maisie1 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2011
    Madison, WI
    Yep. My four girls are about 9 weeks old & they've been doing the chest-bump thing for weeks. Sometimes they even jump on each other. I think they're just sorting out their pecking order. I wouldn't worry unless they start drawing blood!

5. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Whenever new chickens meet, it seems they do that. They try to figure out who's "better". It happens! [​IMG]

6. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    I think its cute, like, "Hey! Lets chest bump!" boing, boing,boing staaaaare.

7. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    I have six and they do that. Not often but they do. They frill their necks all the time, chest bumping and once in a while they try to flog each other.

8. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Actually, they also tend to do that to my feet as well, as if my shoes pose some kind of threat. It's funny!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by