Pullets laying behavior

Aristocat123

Songster
May 22, 2019
Florida
  1. 754ED3DF-0EB9-4EF3-963A-A3E267B9623D.jpeg
    Hello everyone. This is my first time having chickens and I love them and find them fascinating. All my chickens are pullets 21–23 weeks old. I have a 23 week old Light Leghorn who started laying on 7/31 and has been a laying machine Cockerelsince then. Yesterday and today she sat in the nest and laid no egg, sang the egg song and came out like a happy camper but no eggs. Her behavior is normal except for this.
    1. We live in S. Florida and it’s hot but not as hot as previous month.
    2. She is my Silkie Cockerel‘s favorite
    3. Doesn’t let me catch her or hold her so I cannot check on her unless she’s roosting for the night.
    4. All her eggs have been perfect as far as the shell is concerned with size variation at times.
    5. Last two days I found 3 rubber eggs one in the yard one this morning in the coop and another one tonight after they set themselves to roost.I think it’s one of my RIR who is just starting to lay only because she’s been checking the nesting boxes and she felt ready when I checked her pelvic bones...
    6. My EE laid a - beautiful green egg last Friday and nothing since then.
    7. They’re all on Flock Raiser with oyster shells available all the time.
    8. They get treats of various vegetables 1 or 2 times a day.
    9. My other RIR Ruby has been laying since 8/10. No problems with her.

Sorry for the long post I just wanted to give you all the details for better answers/resolutions.

A. What’s going on with Buffy my Leghorn?
    B. Should I be concerned about Ruby the RIR or LuLu my EE?
    C. Is Napoleon my Cockerel stressing them?
    TIA for all your help

Attachments

• 268E53A9-4114-415F-BC1B-45CBF54D131B.jpeg
    268E53A9-4114-415F-BC1B-45CBF54D131B.jpeg
    540.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 9211EE71-C229-4EA6-8883-AED6F866AFD8.jpeg
    9211EE71-C229-4EA6-8883-AED6F866AFD8.jpeg
    223.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 8C45374A-B832-4B15-A1AA-A52BC3B31EB2.jpeg
    8C45374A-B832-4B15-A1AA-A52BC3B31EB2.jpeg
    133.7 KB · Views: 8
  • C7CD7A72-55F0-4561-BFD3-3C83A31671A9.jpeg
    C7CD7A72-55F0-4561-BFD3-3C83A31671A9.jpeg
    314 KB · Views: 7
Most new layers can be erratic. It takes a few weeks to months for some to become regular, and lay good consistent eggs. Give them time as they get used to all the new feelings and sensations, and their bodies regulate the hormones surging, and all the internal structures mature more.

Most new layers can be erratic. It takes a few weeks to months for some to become regular, and lay good consistent eggs. Give them time as they get used to all the new feelings and sensations, and their bodies regulate the hormones surging, and all the internal structures mature more.
I probably have information overload and I’ve become paranoid that something could be wrong with them and I don’t know enough about chickens to help them if need be. Thank you for your reply.

Your birds are basically moody hormonal teenagers and all that comes with that.

Rubber or eggs without shells are generally from stress. New layers probably push them out too soon because they don't understand what's going on.

They will go in and out of nestboxes because they don't quite understand when an egg is actually coming out.

Some do get it right from the start, others take time. I understand your concerns, but most are okay. If a bird is eating, drinking, and scratching about they are generally okay.

I wouldn't be too worried. When they first start to lay they can have all sorts of weird eggs until they get the glitches worked out. They should start to give you more normal eggs pretty soon. :)

on buffy as long as she is acting normal as they are creatures of habit it is most likely getting around molting time and when they start molt they don't lay usually as molt takes so much to do, one of my 2.5 year old after coming out of molt was back to starter layer small size eggs this year lmao.

I appreciate this post. Also being new to chickens I have had questions about them laying. Have two that lay perfect eggs everyday and have since they started a month ago. One the lays eggs every couple days but usually lays double or triple yolk eggs and...the problem: one that lays every thin shelled eggs from the roost at night which of course drop to the poop boards and break. The rest haven't started laying yet. Sounds like patience is the answer?!

I appreciate this post. Also being new to chickens I have had questions about them laying. Have two that lay perfect eggs everyday and have since they started a month ago. One the lays eggs every couple days but usually lays double or triple yolk eggs and...the problem: one that lays every thin shelled eggs from the roost at night which of course drop to the poop boards and break. The rest haven't started laying yet. Sounds like patience is the answer?!
That’s what I found last night on the floor, luckily I saw it and picked it up. Patience is the answer and I guess not to worry too much about them.:confused::jumpy

on buffy as long as she is acting normal as they are creatures of habit it is most likely getting around molting time and when they start molt they don't lay usually as molt takes so much to do, one of my 2.5 year old after coming out of molt was back to starter layer small size eggs this year lmao.
Thank you

I wouldn't be too worried. When they first start to lay they can have all sorts of weird eggs until they get the glitches worked out. They should start to give you more normal eggs pretty soon. :)
Thank you
Your birds are basically moody hormonal teenagers and all that comes with that.

Rubber or eggs without shells are generally from stress. New layers probably push them out too soon because they don't understand what's going on.

They will go in and out of nestboxes because they don't quite understand when an egg is actually coming out.

Some do get it right from the start, others take time. I understand your concerns, but most are okay. If a bird is eating, drinking, and scratching about they are generally okay.
Yes they are eating like little piglets, drinking and scratching away. Thank you for your explanation.

Back
Top Bottom