1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pullets or Cockerels - Lavender Orpingtons

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Brea, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Brea

Brea Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2014
    I have two 6 weeks old Lavender Orpingtons. One has a strange neck tuft that fluffs up, is very cocky, will peck your hand when you reach in the brooder, watches everything, and stares down our dog. He or she is sweet once out of the brooder though.

The other is very calm and sweet all the time. Both are the biggest out of our 16 chicks which include Leghorns, Buff Orpingtons, Wyandottes, Partridge Rock, Speckled Sussex, Fayoumis, and Blue Ameraucana.

The first picture is the cocky bird and the second is the sweet one. Do you think one is a cockerel? Both? Neither? Thanks! :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    They both have rather large combs for the age, though the combs aren't red. I think that it is too young to tell what their gender is for sure, but I would lean towards them being cockerels.

1 person likes this.
  3. Hatching

Hatching Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2014
    I agree. orpingtons seem to always give people trouble when it comes to sexing, but those combs are just too big so me to think that they could be pullets

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  4. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    More than the combs alone is the wattle development. I'd lean towards cockerel.

5. Brea

Brea Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2014
    I am going to be beyond angry if they both end up being roosters. The hatchery is going to get a piece if mt mind. We payed for pullets which was $6 more per chick. Here is a picture of the cocky Lavender with both our Leghorns and one of our Buff Orpingtons.[​IMG]

6. Hatching

Hatching Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2014
    That buff Orpington has the size and color comb I would expect to see in a pullet. Are they the same age or are the lavender chicks older?

7. Brea

Brea Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2014
    All the same age :/

I am trying to hold out some hope as we had a Barred Rock that everyone thought was a roo and it turned out to be a hen. It will make me really mad if both of our $20 chicks turn out to be roosters.

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm leaning towards cockerel on both of them, especially the first one.

9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I agree.

10. Brea

Brea Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2014
    Update on the Lavenders. Pretty sure they are both cockerels. Here is a new picture of them as well as one of our Buffs.

Bigger one
    [​IMG]

Smaller one
    [​IMG]

Buff pullet
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by