Are my She’s He’s? Marans, Cochin, Orppington

PebbleandPeony

In the Brooder
Jul 28, 2023
Hello,

Thank you in advance to anyone who can assist. I am new to chicken keeping. I ordered seven baby chicks from MPC. They are 6.5 weeks old currently. I ordered six girls and one boy. However, I have my suspicions that some of my bullets are actually roos.
I have an assortment of breeds.
1 birchen Marans
1 partridge cochin
1 speckled Sussex
1 blue laced red Wyandotte
1 blue easter egger
2 lavender Orpington ( 1 is supposed to be a roo)

Thank you for your opinion on their gender. I’m thinking with such a small block, more than one rooster is a bad idea. So I need to decide who will need to go. They are all sweet, but the two Orpington’s rule over the other chicks. Chest bumping and occasionally pecking, but no crowing yet. The cochin has my heart. Really hoping the the cochin and marans are pullets. But their combs! Especially the cochin, getting redder every day. The marans comb is big, but staying a paler pink.

Birchen Maran: (suspected roo)
IMG_5035.jpeg

Partridge Cochin:(suspected roo)
IMG_5044.jpeg

Speckled Sussex: (pullet?)
IMG_5054.jpeg

Blue laced red Wyandott (pullet?)
IMG_5047.jpeg

Blue Easter Egger:(pullet?)
IMG_5023.jpeg

Lavender Orpington #1:(roo?)
IMG_5032.jpeg

Lavender Orpington #2: (suspected roo)
IMG_5060.jpeg

The Maran, Cochin, and first Orpington are cockerels. The second Orpington could go either way, but leaning cockerel. I'd contact MPC and see if you can get a refund on the extra cockerels.

The Maran, Cochin, and first Orpington are cockerels. The second Orpington could go either way, but leaning cockerel. I'd contact MPC and see if you can get a refund on the extra cockerels.
Thank you! That’s what I suspected. I will contact MPC. I thought that it was interesting that the 2 Orpingtons aren’t identical. I wonder how much longer to be sure about the 2nd one ?

Thank you! That’s what I suspected. I will contact MPC. I thought that it was interesting that the 2 Orpingtons aren’t identical. I wonder how much longer to be sure about the 2nd one ?
I would guess cockerel as well for the second one. That’s more wattle and comb than my 14 week old lavender Orpington pullet.

Definitely contact MPC, they may make you wait a few more weeks for confirmation, but they'll accept pics of the suspected cockerels now and keep in touch with you. I ordered from them several times and their customer service is excellent! I ended up with a cockerel last year and they gave me purchase price plus shipping back.

Back
Top Bottom