Pullets or roo?? Pic heavy!!

Mk_lanch

Songster
6 Years
Sep 20, 2017
Please can someone give me some idea on what sex my chicks are they are just over 12 weeks old
DSC_0879.JPG

I have one cream Poland(buttons) , one black cream mix Poland(deville) , a white silkie(milky) , a black silkie (carlymero) and a black and brown mix silkie (marmite)....
Here are the picture
This is buttons my cream Poland.
I was thinking girl until today when I was comparing with my other Poland. Also this one is getting picked on heavily by my older girls
DSC_0879.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0881.JPG
    DSC_0881.JPG
    436.5 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_0880.JPG
    DSC_0880.JPG
    714.3 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC_0889.JPG
    DSC_0889.JPG
    496.8 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_0888.JPG
    DSC_0888.JPG
    446.9 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_0887.JPG
    DSC_0887.JPG
    621.4 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_0886.JPG
    DSC_0886.JPG
    535.6 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC_0885.JPG
    DSC_0885.JPG
    566.8 KB · Views: 33
Silkies and Polish are two of the toughest breeds to sex accurately. Clear, close up pictures of the combs would help a great deal. Check for redness at the combs and faces of the Polish. Redness in those areas probably means a cockerel at this stage.

I'll make guesses without comb pictures, but they could very well be wrong, since they are just guesses.

Buttons could go either way, but I think it could be a cockerel. Check the comb for redness.

Deville looks like a pullet to me.

Calymero looks cockerel-ish to me.

Milky is looking more like a pullet, but tough to tell.

Marmite is maybe a cockerel. It has thick legs. Hard to be sure, though.

hi, thanks for your reply.

there is no redness or signs of combs yet. ill try and get out and take some close up pictures in a minute.

carlymero i was leaning towards a pullet as shes so small compared to the others what makes you say cockeral. least friendly of all my chicks aswel. hates being touched or pick up.

marmite is big so i was thinking he was a cockeral...also from the sounds he makes when i pick him up. he sort of honks similar to a duck

hi, thanks for your reply.

there is no redness or signs of combs yet. ill try and get out and take some close up pictures in a minute.

carlymero i was leaning towards a pullet as shes so small compared to the others what makes you say cockeral. least friendly of all my chicks aswel. hates being touched or pick up.

marmite is big so i was thinking he was a cockeral...also from the sounds he makes when i pick him up. he sort of honks similar to a duck
It's mostly just a hunch with Calymero, and hunches are often wrong. Comb size and leg thickness are the things to check with Silkies at that age.

Buttons could be a pullet. If there is no red at the comb or face, then that is a good sign.

I don't think you will know for sure on these birds for another month, but getting more opinions from other posters will help a great deal. Just gotta wait for everyone to wake up.

Here are the close ups. There is a bit of red on buttons but I couldn't get a picture clear enough to show it

Not the best pictures but I didn't have anyone to help me lol

Attachments

• DSC_0903.JPG
    DSC_0903.JPG
    244.9 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC_0901.JPG
    DSC_0901.JPG
    418.3 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC_0896.JPG
    DSC_0896.JPG
    203 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC_0896.JPG
    DSC_0896.JPG
    203 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC_0893.JPG
    DSC_0893.JPG
    182.4 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC_0892.JPG
    DSC_0892.JPG
    166.2 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC_0891.JPG
    DSC_0891.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 26
I think Buttons is probably a cockerel because of the crest-- I'm seeing longer, pointier feathers there. Not 100% sure, but that's what I think.

Deville is most likely a pullet.

Marmite is kind of in between. I'm really not seeing anything that screams cockerel. It's larger than the other Silkies, but the comb isn't too big for it to be a pullet. I think more time is needed to be sure on this one.

I think Milky is probably a pullet.

i have an appenzeller cockerel...hes only 17 weeks old...hes a stunning bird...i tried to bond him with my girls and they almost killed him. similar to what their doing to buttons but alot more brutal!
so hes going to a new home next week and has to be seperate for now.
but i started to wonder in buttons was a cockerel from the way the girls were ganging up on him and beating him up.
ill be sad if he is a cockerel as hes the exact colour i wanted and last time i done hatching eggs i got 2 roos both sizzle polands and they were similar colours. i really wanted a girl!

Back
Top Bottom