Pullets or Roos?? Cream Legbar x FCM mixes

Hmmm....whichever has a better disposition. Both are handsome boys.
The smaller 1, Penny, comes running up to me every time looking for treats. Olive, the bigger one has a more unique look to him, but way more stand-off-ish to me. He will come up to me, but doesn't want me to touch him at all.

The smaller 1, Penny, comes running up to me every time looking for treats. Olive, the bigger one has a more unique look to him, but way more stand-off-ish to me. He will come up to me, but doesn't want me to touch him at all.
Then choose Penny/Peter.

I had 2 roosters, same hatchery- and date. One Tabasco was bigger and had more comb than Tikal. I knew they were both roosters though.
I am new at this whole chicken raising thing, and I found a home for 1 of them. So I wanted to be certain they were both boys and figure out which one to give away and which to keep.

Then choose Penny/Peter.
It's funny......we thought we had all girls last summer and gave them all girl names, well.....we ended up with 2 roos, but they still have girly names. Daisy and Beauty. I was like 90% certain Olive the bigger one was a boy so I pushed my kids to name him olive so it wouldn't be such a girly name. But my oldest boy still calls his rooster Daisy, lol....... it's 2021..... guys can have girl names right?? Hahaha

Sorry both handsome fellas 🥰
Thanks! I was hoping to get green eggs from them, thinking they were girls. BUT, now it's just going to be an experiment to see if they pass on the green egg color to a few offspring I guess!! Fun genetics project.

I habe one easter egger mic does green eggs and i yave a hybrid cheshire blue does a sky blue egg and i got some olive egger eggs in incubator due to hatch next week xxx like a nice blend of eggs xx

Attachments

• 20201005_220459.jpg
    20201005_220459.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200926_164846.jpg
    20200926_164846.jpg
    385.8 KB · Views: 3
I’d wait till they are older to tell if they are good keepers or not. Since their hormones haven’t kicked in, I would wait. A cockerel can really change a lot during that time.
I would love to wait, but I'm not set up to separate my chickens and we now have 4 boys to only 7 girls. The fighting is getting worse, and stressing the flock. Plus, I found a lady willing to trade a few 1 year old hens (cinnamon queen highlines) for 1 of my boys.

I would love to wait, but I'm not set up to separate my chickens and we now have 4 boys to only 7 girls. The fighting is getting worse, and stressing the flock. Plus, I found a lady willing to trade a few 1 year old hens (cinnamon queen highlines) for 1 of my boys.
Oh yay that's a great deal! I definitely get needing to rehome them now, however unfortunate it is. But, like you're doing, I'd say keep the one that's friendliest now and hope for the best.

Back
Top Bottom