Pullets starting to lay this week- Few questions

Duke6017

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 13, 2013
I have 7 chickens. 1 hen and 6 pullets. My hen has been laying all summer long. Some of the pullets just started joining her this week. On Monday I had 3 eggs in my nesting boxes. 2 large brown eggs and one smaller white egg. I have 2 White Leghorn pullets so I figure the small white egg came from one of them. My hen is a Buff Orpington and one of the large brown eggs could have came from her, but the other would have had to come from my RIR's or BSL's. Yesterday upon first inspection I only had 1 large brown egg, but it had a small streak of blood on the shell. About an hour later I checked again and there was a small, almost translucent egg with a rubbery shell.

Is it normal for new laying hens to have a bit of blood on the shell (it was a very small amount). I assumed it could be normal since this was the first time this pullet had pushed one out. And is it also normal for a first time layer to lay a poor shelled egg like the thin rubbery one I found?

Yes, it is relatively normal for young pullet eggs to be not quite perfect, whether it means they have blood on them or a rubbery shell. The blood probably just came from a ruptured blood vessel as the pullet was pushing the egg out--that happens occasionally, and is nothing to worry about.

The rubbery egg was probably just a fluke in the laying system (also nothing to worry about). If the rubbery eggs continue, though, it may be a genetic tendency or due to a calcium deficiency. If you aren't already doing so, it might be a good idea to offer your layers some free choice oystershell.

Last edited:
Thank you for the response. I assumed all was ok, but figured I would ask just in case.

OK, I am back with a follow up question. As mentioned I have 6 pullets and a 2 year old hen. The 2 White Leghorn Pullets are about 2 weeks younger than the 2 Rhode Island Reds and 2 BSL's. However, they are steadily pumping out more eggs. I am getting 2 white eggs every day from the WL's and still just 1 brown egg a day from my 2 yr old hen. The RIR's and BSL's are atleast 26 weeks old and I am not getting any eggs from them.

There was 1 day when I thought 1 of them had laid because I had 2 brown eggs in the nest. But since then, nothing. Any suggestions? Shouldn't they be laying by now?

OK, I am back with a follow up question. As mentioned I have 6 pullets and a 2 year old hen. The 2 White Leghorn Pullets are about 2 weeks younger than the 2 Rhode Island Reds and 2 BSL's. However, they are steadily pumping out more eggs. I am getting 2 white eggs every day from the WL's and still just 1 brown egg a day from my 2 yr old hen. The RIR's and BSL's are atleast 26 weeks old and I am not getting any eggs from them.

There was 1 day when I thought 1 of them had laid because I had 2 brown eggs in the nest. But since then, nothing. Any suggestions? Shouldn't they be laying by now?

Hi there - simple answer is they aren't quite ready. Leghorns are high production birds - the BSLs are too, but with the BSL you have the issue of just what breeds were used to create that particular BSL. Rather than focusing on the age of the birds, look at their physical signs of maturity - you can even post pictures and we can help you look at how close they appear to be to beginning to lay.

That would be great. I will do that this evening.

I will say the RIR's and the BSL's are much larger than the WL's.

Thank you for the advice!

Here is another question I just thought of. One of my WL's always comes up into the coop and watches me pull the eggs from the nest box. She is out in the run and when I go to the box she jumps up in the coop and comes right over to the box and squawks quite a bit. She never pecks at me or becomes aggressive, but she certainly seems interested in the fact that I am taking off with the eggs. Any rhyme or reason behind that? I hope its not a sign of broodiness.

Although she may just be following me because she thinks I am going to give her a treat.

Here is another question I just thought of. One of my WL's always comes up into the coop and watches me pull the eggs from the nest box. She is out in the run and when I go to the box she jumps up in the coop and comes right over to the box and squawks quite a bit. She never pecks at me or becomes aggressive, but she certainly seems interested in the fact that I am taking off with the eggs. Any rhyme or reason behind that? I hope its not a sign of broodiness.

Although she may just be following me because she thinks I am going to give her a treat.

Mine do that. Especially the one that either isn't laying yet or has just started. I think they just are curious and want to see what you are up to and maybe get a little attention.

Ok, here are a few pics of the chickens. Let me know if you think they look of age

The Buff O. is 2 years old and has been giving me about 4-5 eggs a week. The WL in the background just started a couple of weeks ago and is laying an egg a day. And recently very large eggs! The RIR has not started laying yet, but is supposed to be 2 weeks older than the WL.

Here is one of the BSL's and both of the WL's.

The other BSL sitting in the coop door.

One of two giant double yolk egg from my WL's. The other is a normal sized egg from the BO.

Two double yolk eggs in the pan.

Back
Top Bottom