Pullets Stopped Laying

LDuke

Hatching
Aug 23, 2021
Hello! I posted this about a month ago and really got no help, so I'm posting again. I have 2 pullets, less than a year old, I'd put them at about 10 months or so. They started laying in May/June and then completely stopped in July, August, and now September. We got one or two eggs every 3 days in August but that's stopped as well. I feed them layer, the right amount, and they scavenge all day + any veggie/fruit scraps from the kitchen. They eat well. They have ample amount of lighting as well. They are not moulting. They have no stress. I provide shade and cooling from the summer heat. Egg production just stopped for some reason and I'm not sure why. None of the hens before them ever behaved this way so I'm not quite sure what is going on. As I relied on my parents to help me get the chickens set up, my father sees this as a waste of money + yard use. Any help would be appreciated.

I know you say they aren’t molting, but more than likely they are. You may not see it, but I betcha they are. I have 8 laying chickens and I get 3 eggs a day at most.

IF they free range what is to say they are not laying in another location? are these the only 2 you have. Molt in young chickens like that would be odd, but again these were not spring hatch chick but winter , which could mean they stopped to molt and now with reduced light they wont lay. What breed are they

IF they free range what is to say they are not laying in another location? are these the only 2 you have. Molt in young chickens like that would be odd, but again these were not spring hatch chick but winter , which could mean they stopped to molt and now with reduced light they wont lay. What breed are they
I have 7 pullets in total, 4 of which are too young to lay. They're not free-range, they're kept in a coop with an enclosed run. We've checked everywhere, even underneath the coop, and no eggs. The 2 once-laying pullets are Easter Eggers

Egg Production is gonna slow down, or stop for the year. My egg Production dropped last month since they were heading towards molt.

Days are getting short, starting to cool off, all triggers for molting.

Can you post a photo of your girls? Other signs of molting include a loss of color in their combs & wattles, purplish pin feathers, feathers still encased in keratin. And yes, a soft molt can take up to 3 months, it varies by chicken.

You didn't mention where you're located - if it's been really hot where you are, it could be just the heat. It's not enough to just provide water, it has to be cool water. Other considerations - what about egg eating? Anybody got a history of soft-shelled eggs? Could also be something else stealing the eggs, like snakes - I've even heard of squirrels stealing eggs!

Regarding diet, what exactly are you feeding, and how? Chickens need a lot of protein to make eggs, and sometimes, some chickens need more than others. Calcium supplement/oyster shell on the side?

just my little tidbit, some of mine completely stopped laying when some new neighbors moved in.
I knew they were already upsetting me with their loud shouting, constant banging and shining their newly installed outdoor lighting onto my yard.
That's right it was too bright to shine it into theirs so they pointed it at my chicken coop.

Egg production went right down. They now know I'm not happy about them using their lights at night - see if it makes a difference.

Have they possibly been broody? My broody takes a 'huge' break after here marathon broody sessions and will typically not get back on the lay for another month or so. Sometimes she does a 'broody moult', sometimes she doesn't.

Best would be to dedicate yourself to watching the flock for a full day to see what's going on. If you are rationing food, you may find they run out. They could be getting bullied by others in the flock or laying in a very sneaky spot... Typically first year hens won't stop laying over their first winter, but that's not a hard rule.

Also, is it possible their eggs are getting confused with someone else's that you thought was more productive?

Back
Top Bottom