Pump for Duck Pond

Lover duck duck

Songster
6 Years
Apr 10, 2018
Hello,
I finally finished my duck pen and the girls have been out there for about a week now, I have been using a small kiddie pool that I dump and refill every morning. I purchased a preformed pond that I attached a drain to and will be putting a valve on it to empty and clean but I would like to do that less often than not. So I have read some articles and blogs that say the best pump to use is a dirty water pump. I will also be making a bio filter to use along with the pump and using uv light. That said has anyone had any experience using this type of pump in a duck pond?

Would you post some pics of this pond and it's drain?

I have some years experience with ornamental fish pond filtration.
I would not try to filter and recirculate a duck pond, too much poop...
...a biofilter does not remove solids(you need a mechanical filter for that, a serious one for duck poop), a UV light won't do diddly with solids in water column, and a 'dirty water pump' is probably sump pump capable of moving certain sized solids would have way too much GPH flow to feed most filtration systems.

Would you post some pics of this pond and it's drain?

I have some years experience with ornamental fish pond filtration.
...a biofilter does not remove solids(you need a mechanical filter for that, a serious one for duck poop), a UV light won't do diddly with solids in water column, and a 'dirty water pump' is probably sump pump capable of moving certain sized solids would have way too much GPH flow to feed most filtration systems.
I don’t have the preformed pond up yet, I am trying to gather all materials before starting to work on it. Which mechanical pump do you suggest?

From my experience anything with a drain is the best bet. Never again will I mess with a pump or manual dumping. Save yourself the time and hassle. Even if you have to rent a small trencher/ mini backhoe to properly install a pre-formed pond or larger pool so that gravity can drain the water, it is totally worth it.

From my experience anything with a drain is the best bet. Never again will I mess with a pump or manual dumping. Save yourself the time and hassle. Even if you have to rent a small trencher/ mini backhoe to properly install a pre-formed pond or larger pool so that gravity can drain the water, it is totally worth it.
Yes I am definitely doing that. The drain is already installed, but I wanted to do a simple bio filter to keep it clean for a little bit even if it’s just for a week. Since I will be draining and refilling, just so I don’t have to do it everyday. Thanks again.

I suppose my thoughts on filtration would be different if I were not on well water. We'll drain and refill the (2) pools at least twice a day. Thank goodness for no water bill.
:ya

I suppose my thoughts on filtration would be different if I were not on well water. We'll drain and refill the (2) pools at least twice a day. Thank goodness for no water bill.
:ya
I am on well water too. But doesn’t the well work on electricity and I’m afraid my electric bill will come higher. I don’t know this will be my first time doing something like this other than filling the horses 100 gallon water trough every two days or so. Thanks again

Which mechanical pump do you suggest?
Do you mean mechanical filter? That's what gets the solids out of the water column.....but...

I’m afraid my electric bill will come higher.
You could watch your electric meter to see how much KWH it takes to fill it up. Note the numbers, fill pond, note the numbers again...then figure your rate per KWH and do the math, then you'll know.
How many gallons is the preform?

There are a few people here that have ponds with pumps going, without any issues. It will all depend on size of pond, filter and how many ducks.

Back
Top Bottom