Texas
Pumpkin Bread

2 cups SUGAR
4 EGGS
1 ½ cups OIL
2 cups FLOUR
1 teaspoon SALT
2 teaspoons BAKING SODA
2 teaspoons CINNAMON (or pumpkin pie spice)
1 ½ cups canned PUMPKIN
1/2 cup chopped WALNUTS

Preheat oven to 350. Blend together sugar, eggs and oil thoroughly.

Sift together dry ingredients and add alternately to above mixture with the pumpkin, mixing well after each addition. Stir in walnuts.

Bake in greased and floured 10-inch tube pan (like a Bundt pan) for ONE hour. Cool 20-25 minutes in the pan.

Bread is very soft and moist. You could even frost it with a cream cheese frosting to serve more like a cake.

I think these are soft enough to use as muffins, too.

NOTE: I used this recipe today following my diabetic modifications (below) and I also used fresh (cooked/cooled/mashed) pumpkin instead of canned. I baked them in oiled muffin tins and they came out great, just a lighter color due to the fresh pumpkin.

ETA:
I have tweeked this recipe (I am diabetic) with good results. The recipe substitutions are:

1 cup Splenda for Baking (make sure it's "FOR BAKING" or now called "Sugar Blend")
2 eggs
1 cup oil

I also added along with the cinnamon:
1 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp cloves

23095_pumpkin_muffin.jpg

Last edited:
Let me know how you liked it. It's the best pumpkin bread I've had because it is so moist but not sticky.

Last edited:
I tried something new this time when I made it according to the diabetic recipe...I used one cup unbleached white flour and one cup white whole wheat flour.

White wheat is a different wheat berry than regular whole wheat and it has a more mild flavor.

Today the bread is even better than yesterday because the spices have aromafied (
lol.png
) the bread. Yesterday I could still taste a little of the whole wheat flour but they were still very good ("they" meaning the muffins).

....they must be good because I've managed to eat all but three by myself!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom