Pumpkin seeds for worming?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by somadlyinlove, Sep 12, 2011.

1. somadlyinlove

somadlyinlove Chillin' With My Peeps

Does anyone have experience with using pumpkin seeds for worming? I don't see any signs of worms but I know that sometimes they can get bad before you can see any signs. I don't want to use chemicals/ medicine that will mean I have to discard eggs, if I'm not sure they even have worms.

2. Twiggers96

Twiggers96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2011
    Arcadia, FL
    I have read something involving pumpkin in a magazine. I will track it down and see what it says.

3. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Good question, I've read that pumkin seeds mixed with buttermilk will work, but others say it's crap and won't do anything, and the same for DE and a lot of other "natural" alternatives. But then if you use meds then you have to worry about them building up a tolerance to it, so?????

4. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    It is supposed to work. They give me migraines. If your girls are covering their eyes with their wings and pleading with the others to keep it down... you might want to try something else.

5. somadlyinlove

somadlyinlove Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG] LOL First time I've laughed at a migraine!

6. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    How in the world do you get a chicken to drink buttermilk. And without cornbread no less.

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Mix it in their feed, or cornbread! LOL

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I use Pumpkin seeds. Watermelon and Squash seeds too, but they need to be mature.

They do work; it's a chemical compound in the seed that paralyzes the worm and passes it out of the chicken's system.

I've never had an issue I KNEW was worms, but, I did once notice that after feeding a new cockerel some ground up, fresh, raw seeds - He gained a lot of weight just a week later. [​IMG]

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:You dont have to worry about worm resistance if you rotate wormers. Natural alternatives might prevent, but wont treat an infestion. By the time you see worms in poop, they have nowhere else to go but out the rear end...that's an infestation.

10. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Mix it in their feed, or cornbread! LOL

Dawg it seems like you do the deworming thing a lot (every 3 months vs 6), did you have a bad experience, do you do any of the pumkin seed/ red pepper flake things also? I just haven't done anything and wondering if I should and if so how should I go about it. But I don't see any signs that my chix have any issues, so was thinking abou the "natural" alternatives, if there is such a thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by