Pumpkin??

P1190093.jpg

I remove the pumpkin from the root cellar. Cut pumpkin in half with machete. Place pumpkin in run, cut side up. Wash and dry machete.

If I can't find the machete - I step into the run and smash said pumpkin on the ground until it is split enough to tear it in half. Leave chicken run feeling like a super-hero for breaking pumpkin in half with my bare hands!!! lol

But, since we are on the subject of pumpkins and chickens, might I ask if anyone actually gives pumpkin to their chickens as a treat? I have too much pumpkin in the garden, but was thinking the seeds are too big for them and the meat too firm.

ETA: chickens in place of chicks.
I feed it raw to mine.

But, since we are on the subject of pumpkins and chickens, might I ask if anyone actually gives pumpkin to their chickens as a treat? I have too much pumpkin in the garden, but was thinking the seeds are too big for them and the meat too firm.

ETA: chickens in place of chicks.
My chickens love pumpkin! They'll eat right through a whole one :)

I grow pumpkins to feed to my chickens, since they are a good lowcost winter treat. I cut them in half, and leave them in the run for the birds to eat. They usually eat everything, including the rind.

As for Pumpkin seeds being a good natural wormer, I think thats a myth. For one thing, most of the Pumpkin seeds my chickens eat don't even get digested, I get tons of volunteer Pumpkins growing in the pasture every summer.

I went to the local pumpkin patch the other day and got 18 big pumpkins for the girls they love them. I picked out the big crummy ones that wouldn’t stand up for jack o lantern use got them for next to nothing. I do this every year and go back after Halloween and load up on free ones. Not for a dewormer just to feed to the chickens, the eggs get nice and orange to

Back
Top Bottom