Puncture wound on baby chick

Black Dog Roosters

In the Brooder
Nov 14, 2023
Today I had let our momma hen and babies out of the garage brooder- first time since they hatched a couple weeks ago… I did physically look over each chick as I took them out of the brooder before I put them in the pen out in the yard with momma, so I know for a fact that puncture was not there… I went out to the barn and was working in one of the coops, while momma and the babies were up at the garage doing their thing…. We do have 4 large dogs, but all 4 were actually inside being lazy today- usually they’re outside or I’d immediately suspect one of them might of possibility did it while trying to play with them, so I do know they didn’t do it…. I was probably out in the barn for over an hour and when I came back up to the house, I noticed this one lil chick seemed wet all over, so I picked it up and noticed it had this puncture and a lil bit of blood on it as well… could this possibly be a snake bite? I’ve never seen a snake bite on a chick before or really anything like this… anything I should do?

Attachments

• F9472DA6-8291-479A-9E95-607E57673C31.jpeg
    F9472DA6-8291-479A-9E95-607E57673C31.jpeg
    484.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 21D8EE80-5BCD-4281-91EE-E405B00141A1.png
    21D8EE80-5BCD-4281-91EE-E405B00141A1.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 8
  • 5B81409D-43B7-418D-B91A-2641C0894210.png
    5B81409D-43B7-418D-B91A-2641C0894210.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 5
  • CEC5609F-316C-487E-A4B1-C0E00FECFDEA.png
    CEC5609F-316C-487E-A4B1-C0E00FECFDEA.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 8
Wow, I don't think I've seen anything like that before either. Looks awfully like a snake bite or maybe it just ran into something sharp? Anyways I would clean the wound with an antiseptic and put a pet safe antibiotic on them at least twice a day. If you can I would separate the chick from the rest of them and make sure they stay hydrated and well fed. Just keep watching for infection and hopefully the chick can make a full recovery!

Wow, I don't think I've seen anything like that before either. Looks awfully like a snake bite or maybe it just ran into something sharp? Anyways I would clean the wound with an antiseptic and put a pet safe antibiotic on them at least twice a day. If you can I would separate the chick from the rest of them and make sure they stay hydrated and well fed. Just keep watching for infection and hopefully the chick can make a full recovery!
I looked everywhere for something that maybe it had ran in to and punctured itself, but could not find anything anywhere…
So I figured maybe a snake, like a small garter or small corn snake tried to get it and momma being extremely protective like she is, could of possibly killed it and then ate it (she has eaten quite a few snakes in the past, so I could definitely see her eating it)…

It does seem to be eating and drinking, although I’m not quite sure if the liquid is coming out of the puncture or not because their brooder is a modified ibc tote and so I can’t quite get in there to actually see (I’m kinda short and almost fall in it just to pick up their feeder and waterer lol) I had it separated at first but it kept crying so, I went ahead and put it back with all the others and it is doing fine… I do have an indoor brooder that I use for my incubator chicks and just had some hatch out yesterday, so I may end up putting it in with them because I can do a divider if I need it… I did clean out the wound and put some neospoirn on it as well… we don’t have many, if any venomous snakes around our area, so hopefully that’s a plus if it is a snake bite

I looked everywhere for something that maybe it had ran in to and punctured itself, but could not find anything anywhere…
So I figured maybe a snake, like a small garter or small corn snake tried to get it and momma being extremely protective like she is, could of possibly killed it and then ate it (she has eaten quite a few snakes in the past, so I could definitely see her eating it)…

It does seem to be eating and drinking, although I’m not quite sure if the liquid is coming out of the puncture or not because their brooder is a modified ibc tote and so I can’t quite get in there to actually see (I’m kinda short and almost fall in it just to pick up their feeder and waterer lol) I had it separated at first but it kept crying so, I went ahead and put it back with all the others and it is doing fine… I do have an indoor brooder that I use for my incubator chicks and just had some hatch out yesterday, so I may end up putting it in with them because I can do a divider if I need it… I did clean out the wound and put some neospoirn on it as well… we don’t have many, if any venomous snakes around our area, so hopefully that’s a plus if it is a snake bite
Sorry I don't come on BYC very often, how is the baby chick doing?

Back
Top Bottom