Pup date... hehe the last litter...

shadowpaints

Songster
10 Years
Jun 20, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
ok, so we have bred our 2 shelties now, 4 times (resulting in 3 litters) ( merlin is 7 years old Star is now 6) i am happy to report that shortly after christmas, we will be having PUPPIES! yay!

we breed for mainly agility, with some herding.
Both star and merling are whizzes at agility. Merlin is also my Seizure alert dog. he lets me know if i have a seziure coming on and he lets me know.
Both dogs are registered with AKC
Star is a dark sable
Merlin is a blue merle
soo any who...
after the vet passed star as healthy ( she always is but at her yearly check up the vet gave the ok to breed)

we bred her during her next heat. this is her and merlins last litter. after these pups are weaned, ill be spaying and neutering both of them.i have 3 pups spoken for. star averages 4-5 pups a litter, but who knows lol.
her belly is rapidly growing!

ill be taking her in to have xrays soon (tomorrow or monday)

she is 50 days gestation right now with her due date being 12/27
so far she has had blue merles, sable merles, sables and tri colored pups.

80 % of her pups have gone on to excell at agility, obediance and herding. 5 of these 2s pups have shown signs of the possible ability of being seziure dogs.

i am proud to say that my screening process is AMAZING. not one of my pups have switched owners, they are all healthy, happy and well socialized dogs. i am in constant contact with all the pups owners . i have had 2 repeat owners ( got one pup one litter wanted another pup the next litter) and will have a 3rd repeat buyer this litter.
we keep our pups till they are 12 weeks old and most of them are nearly potty trained by then. i love hearing news about my babies, and would take any one of them back with no problem if the need arose .
for some reason i cant find the pics of previsous pups.. UGH ill get some pics of star and merlin in the next day or 2!

It'd be neat to hear more about the screening process you use, since it has been so successful, and others may be interested.
smile.png
Good luck with the litter!

Wow you are close.....not too far from me being that you're in ID. I wish so badly that I could reserve a puppy from you....yes this is an impulsive wish on some levels. I really want another dog, and I cannot get the Beauceron I want, my Papillon is aging at an alarming rate and Shelties are a breed I have seriously considered over the years off and on.

star has her appointment at 2:30 for her xray today!! YIPPEE!!

our screening process includes:

we do prefer someone who has experiance with training and preferably with shelties. shelties require a LOT of socialization, which is why we dont allow them to leave until 12 weeks old

we ask how many dogs the person has had in the last 10 years, how many they no longer have, and why they no longer have them

we prefer the person getting the pup own their home, renters have a higher rate of moving and having to re home their dogs.

we ask for a vet reference, and make sure that the vet has been active in their animals caretaking (shots, check up ETC)

we also do not allow most owners to 'pick their puppy' i know that sounds mean, BUT each person is asked what they are going to use their sheltie for. either a pet, agility, herding, or possible conformation.

we then pick the pup(s) that will best fill their needs and wants. sometimes there is more than one pup that will fit their lifestyle, and then they can choose from the ones that might fit their life style.

we also tell our new puppy owners that they need to spay or neuter their pups . we do not DEMAND it, but we offer a 50$ refund towards the spay or neuter if it is done by the time the pup is 6 months old. i am happy to report that there is only 1 female that has not been spayed. all males have been neutered
smile.png

we also request that all new pup owners stay in contact often with me. i prefer to talk to them monthly till the dog is 8 or so months old either by email, or phone or even facebook.
after that i email every 6 months for updates
smile.png

so far so good. AND we dogs in California, Wyoming, and had one in texas ( the one in texas unfortunatly passed away, due to the neighbors poisening him)
most of the dogs are here in my area and i see those ones often
smile.png

That is really good screening - We rescue Old English Sheepdogs and you would not believe the cruelty we have seen to them. These Dogs can be £800- £1500 + for a puppy and yet folk have still beaten them until they are blind and terribly injured or starved and locked up with no stimulation or training or socialization. Not to mention intensive Puppy farming and leaving their coats to go all yuky and manky! We've seen the bad side of Dog breeding it is not nice. Good you do what you do and care for your animals with back up after care and advice as well GOOD FOR YOU GUYS!!!!!

Oesdog
lol.png
Now
pop.gif
pop.gif
pop.gif
For Puppy Pics!!!!

Last edited:
your process sounds very similar to the one my breeder uses. Matching the right dog to the right home is one of the best ways to insure that the dog stays there forever!

Thanks for taking the time to post that Shadowpaints! I love how people take the time to share information on here.

Back
Top Bottom