Puppies eating chicken feces

tophatyorkies

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 8, 2010
Candia,NH
FYI My yorkie pups ate some chicken feces and got Very ILL!. The pups are 10 weeks old and under 1 lb. I got up this am to find one of the pups laying out flat and nearly dead. I quickly gave her some Karo Syrup and a few minutes later she was somewhat responsive. After a few more doses of Karo she was lifting her head. This all happened after 2 days of diarrhea and no appetite. Apparently after a vet visit, it was concluded that they have sarmanella poisoning. This IS contagious to humans. BE CAREFUL!
hu.gif

You ought to treat all your chickens for salmonella. I know chickens can "carry" it like Typhoid Mary but not be outwardly ill. So as to what to use and how to do it, I don't know but this board has almost EVERYTHING on it, just do a search on "salmonella" (and spell it right, I don't think I am
big_smile.png
)

Dogs will relish chicken poop, and then if you introduce any other poultry they will catch it from the carriers and get sick.

Salmonella is NOT a natural condition for chickens to have. And their eggs have it too, so do NOT eat them unless they are well cooked. Even more reason to try and get rid of the bug than ever.

I have two Golden Retrievers and they love that poo... it's soo gross! I don't let them lick me or the kids anymore!!! I talked to the vet when we got the chickens and they told me to just do fecal samples more often to make sure the dogs haven't contracted anything. I was worried about worms and such, but never thought that the dogs would be able to get salmonella. I just thought they were somehow immune (newbie chicken owner!). I'm so sorry about your puppy, but glad that you shared the experience. I will have to be more diligent about keeping the dogs from eating the chicken poo. How is your puppy?

Its NOT Salmonella you have to worry about its Coccidious and Giardia both,I believe are carried by poultry, is your vet said not to worry about it get a new vet.
Both can give puppies severe diarrhea and be very hard to control . Repeated infection will give your dog IBD.
I feed raw my dogs alot Salmonella is a worry for humans more then dogs.
Been raising pups for many a year.

Our 2 dogs like to eat that 'stuff' as well...We try to stop them b/c after they eat it they come back in the house and throw it up...That has got to be one of the WORST smells ever!!
sickbyc.gif
Dogs can be so gross...

For what it's worth my three year old lab cross has been eating chicken poo for years (hard to stop her!) and she is fine so far. Though I can well understand it may not all be the same, nor great for little yorkie pups, so sorry!

Last edited:
My yorkie is doing pretty well after crashing again yesterday afternoon. I was up most of the night with her feeding with a syringe. She is taking an antibiotic as well as Nurti-Cal.
As far as dogs and chickens exchanging parasites, I know only that the coccidia carried by a chicken, will not live and reproduce in dogs. Same as pig round worm will not reproduce in a human.
The difference between yorkies and most other breeds is the size of course. Tiny, 1 lbs babies are prone to crashing if they don't get enough calories.

The most common diseases you will catch from poultry are Salmonella and Campylobacter food poisoning. None of the GI parasites are transmissable to humans. Or dogs, I think. You can get a dermatitis from chicken mites.

Back
Top Bottom