Puppies?

You could take her in and get her X rayed, but she is either pregnant or she isn't and you will find out soon enough. Spaying a female before her first heat goes a long way in preventing mammary cancer.
We will be taking her to get and ultrasound when we can, but just wanted to see what other people’s input would be. Like I said, we always spay/nueter our dogs when they’re pups unless suggested by a vet, which was the case here

Because, a chicken forum know more about dogs then a vet who trained for 8 years for this does.:rolleyes:
Well, if I followed the vet's advice at the time, this little guy would have been dead for 6 years already ;)

20201226_145206.jpg

There are all kinds of users with all kinds of professions and their respective knowledge and experiences here on BYC, so never underestimate the collective knowledge/widsom of the crowd. :p

But of course, always use your own good judgment as well.

Edit: typo

Last edited:
I am just saying that "some" people don't know everything, and contradicting a docter/vet is a pretty mighty claim.
Vets/doctors don’t know everything either. They’re humans not magicians. And there’s tons of cases of them misdiagnosing. Happens quite often actually. I should note though I’m not saying to not trust them or never go to one or whatever but just be careful or maybe get a second opinion if that’s an option. My vet had never even heard of the disease my last dog had. They don’t know everything.

I personally do not think it’s irresponsible to keep an intact dog. I actually think any responsible pet owner should be able to keep an intact dog without issues. Seems op has done that.
Anyway, not looking to ruffle any feathers, just an opinion. Desexing also puts the pet into instant menopause, which causes lots of health issues. Yes, eliminates reproductive cancer and pyometra, but it does not come without increasing other problems. I think the pros of intact outweigh the cons.
https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/health-risks-of-early-spay-neuter/?utm_source=klaviyo&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=CONTENT: Omelette + stuff (UULV89)&_kx=aLpu1CaD4r2NpNcGSykQ3C9EWU3u1wEVaZ5OFDlIE44=.C4YyV9

Anyway, this is off topic. Just wanted to put my two cents in the bucket. Carry on.View attachment 3213382View attachment 3213383

Edit: not to say that irresponsible pet owners with unwanted pregnancies aren’t part of the problem, but they certainly aren’t the only, or biggest problem.
Just so you don't think you are alone I agree completely.

I personally do not think it’s irresponsible to keep an intact dog. I actually think any responsible pet owner should be able to keep an intact dog without issues. Seems op has done that.
Anyway, not looking to ruffle any feathers, just an opinion. Desexing also puts the pet into instant menopause, which causes lots of health issues. Yes, eliminates reproductive cancer and pyometra, but it does not come without increasing other problems. I think the pros of intact outweigh the cons.
https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/health-risks-of-early-spay-neuter/?utm_source=klaviyo&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=CONTENT: Omelette + stuff (UULV89)&_kx=aLpu1CaD4r2NpNcGSykQ3C9EWU3u1wEVaZ5OFDlIE44=.C4YyV9

Anyway, this is off topic. Just wanted to put my two cents in the bucket. Carry on.View attachment 3213382View attachment 3213383

Edit: not to say that irresponsible pet owners with unwanted pregnancies aren’t part of the problem, but they certainly aren’t the only, or biggest problem.
I agree. As long as the owner is responsible enough to make sure their dog doesnt get bred or breed with someone elses dog there is nothing wrong with keeping the dog intact.

Back
Top Bottom