Puppy may be poisoned!!! HELP PLEASE!!!!

Hey, Sorry to hear about the pup, I used to be a vet-tech and now I'm a nurse, So I'll try and give you the best advice I can... Rat poison works similar to people's Coumadin (identical chemical, just super doses in the poision)... it thins the blood (the idea is to make the rat bleed to death). Avoid injury!!! Try to keep the puppy from bumping around anywhere. As far as attempts at treatment? Well, people that take coumadin are not allowed dark leafy green vegetables (spinach) because they cause the blood to become thicker (a natural source of Vitamin K) I'm not sure if the liquid broth off of spinach would help (relating to how much poision was consumed), but it would be worth a try. Try maybe boiling it down and concentrating it. There's no such thing as overdosing on Vitamin K. I'd be careful about other natural treatments, they can interact with other things and cause more problems than you want.

we have about 1/2 gallon of kale/spinach juice w/ pulp, so we can give her as much as necessary!!! How much do u think we should give her??? I was thinking a few teaspoons 3-4 times a day, but I'm worried it won't be enough....

I agree, Try about 10cc (approx. 3 tablespoons) every 1/2hr-1hr. I don't know the size of the puppy, so if it's small try every hour, if it's a larger puppy do every half hour.

The juice will provide hydration (to help protect the kidneys, a good rule of thumb is the more fluid the better) and also should do some good with reversing the poision.

THE ONLY THING THE PUP NEEDS IS VITAMIN K! I USED TO BE A PEST CONTROL APPLICATOR AND THIS IS WHAT WE TOLD THE OWNERS OF DOGS WHO WOULD ACCIDENTLY INGEST RODENTICIDE! GO TO THE DRUG STORE AND BUY 1 OZ OF VITAMIN K PER BODY WEIGHT OF THE PUP! CRUSH IT IF IT IS IN TABLET FORM AND GET IT DOWN THAT DOG! THE SOONER, THE BETTER! IF YOU CAN GET TO A VET FOR A SHOT, THAT WOULD BE BEST AND QUICKEST! HOPEFULLY THE LITTLE TIKE WILL BE OKAY! MY ADVICE WITH ALL DOG OWNERS IS TO HAVE VITAMIN K ON HAND FOR SUCH AN EMERGENCY! PUPS WILL INGEST ALMOST ANYTHING IN THEIR LEARNING YEARS AND WE AS OWNERS NEED TO BE PREPARED FOR THEIR CONDUCT! IT ALMOST ALWAYS HAPPENS ON A DAY WHEN EVERYTHING IS CLOSED AND YOU HAVE NO WAY OF GETTING WHAT YOU NEED!

Quote:
Under most circumstances I would agree, but in this case everyone I have spoken to has told me that if we wait till the symptoms appear it will be too late. At least this way maybe we have a chance of keeping her alive, it's either that or we take her to the vet on Monday and pay $35 to have her put down, which is the only thing my brother could afford. We have no $ either, we can't help him.

I am not a vet but I am a certified vet technician and was consulting with the vet that I am on call with this weekend. It's obvious that you are not listening to what I and others have been saying. aside from that if it were a lethal dose you would have seen something by now.

The waiting time ended 3 hours after she got into it

Why are you shoving kale down the dog? The poison has entered and left the system all thats left is any damage it caused to organs along the way. That is if she even did swallow it or enough to affect her.

Why was this not an emergency 16 hours before you started the thread when she actually got into it?

Last edited:
Quote:
Wow

he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif

Okay i'm out. I hope the puppy is okay

Quote:
its been over 24 hours now..the poision has already gone through her stomach...hows the pup today cjean?

One alternative if he can't afford health care for the pup, is to contact his local shelter/humane society. If they were willing to help, it might be possible that he could relinquish custody of the pup to them, and they could provide health care to the pup, and adopt the pup out to a family when it is better.

I know that would be a difficult thing to do, but it would be better than letting the pup get ill from the poison or simply putting her down. I truly don't think feeding an odd collection of vegetables will save the pup is it did ingest enough poison to hurt. Death by poison is not pretty, so I hope if the pup was indeed poisoned that help will be given to it.

Have you tried any of the animal poison control hotlines that others have posted? I called the ASPCA poison control hotline once and found it to be very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom