puppy mill chickens

colby318

got 'dottes?
11 Years
Jul 14, 2008
Stamping Ground, KY
I bought 6 EEs off a farmer today. They were half bald, greasy and smelled worse than anything I've ever encountered! He's standing there yakking at me while he's holding my birds upside down by their feet. They've only eaten scratch since they were chicks. I feel like a chicken rescue volunteer. Gave them all DE bathes and fresh vegetables when we got home. I saw a thread here the other day about how birds are not recognized legally as pets, just livestock. It still breaks my heart. He's churning out birds by the dozens and I know this is just the way it is. I am so glad for this BYC community that cares for their animals. Thanks for letting me vent, guys

If the conditions are still really horrible you can report him to the Food and Drug. Or you can report him to a local ASPCA or Human society, Chicken may not be "legal" pets but they are living breathing animals and they deserve better.

Some times big factories will be able to get away with stuff like that but small time people wont. So at least reporting him to some one might help him loss his chickens.

The farmer mentioned he had been knocked off of Craigslist several times. He thought maybe somebody had red flagged him. I thought about calling the Humane Society but he had just turned over his flock and bought all new stock. Guineas, Japanese bantams and these huge beautiful black hens. A lady 2 days before came out and bought all 60 of his brown egg layers. Thanks guys, I'll keep an eye on him.

Awww, poor babeez! What part of Kentucky is he in?? My grandkids live in eastern Kentucky and their dad has some chickens. Maybe he could rescue some.
I would definitely report the farmer. At least you would feel better for having tried to better their conditions.

I dont understand individuals like this! Not only are they a living breathing creature but they obviously bring him in some kind of income. If this is where your money is coming from wouldnt you take care of them to insure you could get at least top dollar and keep a reputable name? UHHGGG! (Sorry need to realease a little anger over the situation) I hope the chickens you bought are okay.

You are like a one person CRB (Chicken Rescue Brigade) Good for you!
big_smile.png
I would probably report the guy if I were you, it is not fair for the birds to have to live in those kinds of conditions.

Back
Top Bottom