Puppy Thread

Our newest addition! Bilbo Waggins, the toy fox terrier! Learning how to behave around chickens.
20210227_152140.jpg

Don't let that sweet face fool you. He is rotten as they come...
20210223_145438.jpg

His sister is just as ornery... She lives at my grandparents next door.
20210226_135050.jpg

This is when I chased him a quarter of a mile through slick snow, because he decided to go see the chicken... instead of going potty. Hence the leashed picture above. He knows he is bad. He is so tiny, 3.5lbs right now, he slips out unnoticed underneath the 2 pitbulls and GSD legs. Only for me to catch a glimpse of a white blob darting for the flocks.
20210223_131207.jpg

He thinks he is one of them. But really he is just a hobbit living with orcs.
20210222_164410.jpg

Here ya go :

Training Courses
The most important thing to understand about training is that you started doing it the moment you met your dog. Your new dog is a sponge, bred to be expert in reading people and diligent in soaking up everything there is to know about you, your habits, and what pleases and displeases you. Your poodle is a star pupil, and YOU are the favorite subject! You have already unintentionally trained your dog, so let's turn that around with some intentional training.

How to Choose a Trainer
Dog training is an unregulated industry, which means that anyone can call themself a dog trainer despite little or no experience or success. To combat this, well respected trainers have created their own certifications to set a floor for competency standards. Here’s a brief introduction to some of the acronyms you may see while searching for a trainer:
  • CPDT-KA, CPDT-KSA, CBCC-KA - This is the preferred accreditation of many PF members. All of these titles are associated with the Certification Council of Professional Dog Trainers, which has handily published a Directory of Trainers to assist you in connecting with a skilled and experienced trainer.
  • KPA - The Karen Pryor Academy is a leader in modern, science-based positive reinforcement methods, and the KPA certification reflects an intensive education in dog training. Karen Pryor’s model utilizes clicker training.
  • AKC (if in the USA) - You may see trainers advertise that they are certified evaluators for the American Kennel Club (or your national KC if outside of the US). These trainers are usually highly experienced in a particular program such as Canine Good Citizen or Trick Training.
  • APDT - Membership in the Association of Professional Dog Trainers is fee-based and not to be confused with the vigorous certification procedures of CPDT and KPA. It is, however, another resource for seeking trainers who support a least intrusive, minimally aversive (LIMA) approach to dog training.
Recommended Online/Virtual Trainers

Socialization
One aspect of training a new puppy that you do not want to neglect is socialization. While your puppy is focused on potty training, mastering basic commands, and getting acclimated to life in your home, you will also want to create careful opportunities to expose your dog to other people, other dogs, and routine events like car rides, grooming, veterinary care, and being home alone.

The pandemic and social distancing requirements have made socialization difficult, which means it’s even more important to work on socialization early and consistently. There is no time to waste as puppies have a natural socialization window that closes around 14-16 weeks of age. Some behaviorists recommend exposing your dog to 50 new situations every week.

Exposure checklist
  • Clothing (such as hoodies, raincoats, umbrellas, hats, and sunglasses)
  • Car rides, parking lots, and waiting in the car
  • Grooming and handling
  • Veterinary care
  • Different surfaces (grass, pavement, bridges, puddles, playground equipment)
  • A wide variety of people, dogs, and other animals
  • Being home alone
Resources

Impulse Control
Having a calm, collected dog is the dream. Here are some ideas to train your dog to be bomb-proof.

Separation Anxiety
If all that wasn’t enough, you also need to prepare your dog for life after the pandemic, when you go back to the workplace and your dog is home alone during the day. The best thing you can do is start training your dog to be home alone by practicing leaving your dog at home, even if you’re only gone for a few minutes. If separation anxiety becomes severe, drugs and other interventions may be necessary.

A Word About Housetraining
A perennial topic, careful management of your new dog's access to space in your house during the first few weeks will prevent dreaded accidents and teach your dog the boundaries of their new home.
:yesss: :bow

Will also add I also really like Simpawtico Dog Training on YouTube, they’re great, and these books are amazing.

https://www.amazon.com/Fired-Up-Frantic-Freaked-Out/dp/0985934921

https://www.amazon.com/Social-Civil-Savvy-Training-Socializing/dp/1631650068

I've noticed lots of people getting puppies recently. Lots of my friends have gotten puppies here on BYC and outside of BYC. So, I wanted to make a thread where we could share updates on them and share info. I love training dogs so maybe I could help y'all if you have any questions. I have lots of puppy care and training tips, and I'd love to hear y'alls experience.

Tag anyone that's getting a puppy! And post lots of puppy pictures!

Some things to know:
I really recommend watching Zak George, he has tons of great info! And Petco's training course is really helpful.
Be sure to do your research before getting a puppy! Lots of pet stores with puppy mill dogs that cost more in vet bills than a good breeder or rescue.
You mind if I share photos from our litter 2 years ago and growth photos?
We kept the runt so I have lots of her after her siblings found their homes

So do I :)

Especially the colored ones, Silver sables being my favorite

I hope to handle Alue poodles boy Kovu some day
OMG HE IS GORGEOUS :eek: :love and the pups are so cute! I have now added that breeder to my giant list of breeders I have of a bunch of different breeds lol and followed their Insta 😂🥰

Back
Top Bottom