Pure Breed Sources

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by enggass, Oct 23, 2010.

1. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    If I wanted to get 'pure breed' or close to it breeds, where is the best place or way to get these? As opposed to buying from a standard hatchery?
    Thanks,
    Steve

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Well hello!

That's a good question. First thing you need to do is find out what breed you are interested in. Think about what you want....lots of eggs...brown eggs....white eggs....meat birds.....maybe just an ornamental breed that's extremely exotic looking......You could start with a free hatchery catalog to help you decide. For example, google hatcheries, then you'll get a list, and you can go to their websites...example Meyerhatchery.com, and fill out the form for a free catalog. This catalog is great because it will show pictures and characteristics of each breed, and you could narrow down what you think you'd like.

Things to consider are is the breed cold or heat tolerance, egg production, weight, and temperament. Once you pick out a breed, then you could google the breed....example: you like Barred Rocks......So google Maine Barred Rock breeders. Or Maine Chicken Breeders......and you can go from there.

Good luck in your search!

3. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    There is a breed index on this site, with a link on the home page, and I think that you could probably look on the message board index for breeders. If the breeders themselves don't post here, then at least people who do could refer you, possibly to breeders in your area. That's all kind-of general, but I hope that it helps. If you are looking for pure bred eggs for hatching, you could check ebay, as there are auctions for specific breed eggs, and also Craig's List for your area. Another source could be your local feed store. Sometimes the employees either have birds, or know someone who does, and could refer you.

4. Pequena Bandada

Pequena Bandada Small Flock

Jun 13, 2010
    The best place? Right here! Many members sell hatching eggs, and some sell chicks or started pairs. You can check on the 'for sale' section of BYC and find breeders for almost every kind of chicken you'd ever want.

5. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

You can also join the APA and get their yearly book--it is a great resource for all breeds and has lots of breeders who show in there, too.

6. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Thanks.
    I have Barred Rocks and RIRs that I got from a local feed store. They order all of theirs from Mt Healthy Hatchery in Ohio. I am very pleased with them - received them at 2 days of age.
    However, I plan on getting a few more next spring, and am curious as to how to get 'the good stuff' so to speak. Pure blood lines... ie My RIRs are beautiful reddish/gold/brown in color. Yet I know that pure RIRs are a very dark almost blood red brown in color. So what you are saying is to locate a local breeder as opposed to going through a mass producer. Correct?
    Thanks,
    Steve

7. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

CORRECT! [​IMG]

8. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Correct, but do your homework on the breeder as well. Anyone can call themselves a "breeder"- doesn't mean they have good chicks!

There are some GREAT birds and breeders on here, if I were to do it again I would have skipped all the hatchery birds, and got "the good stuff" to start with!

9. hensonly

hensonly Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    upstate NY
    I also did not want to buy from a large commercial hatchery, for several reasons. One is that folks here on BYC seem to feel that the big hatcheries, regardless of whether a breed is labelled "dual purpose", breed them to be better at either producing eggs OR at growing big for meat, but their ability to do both is limited, compared to a breeder or hatchery that is really trying to produce a bird that really does do it all. The logic makes sense to me, as from what I read here, people tend to get egg breeds and meat breeds separately. As did I.

The same applies if you want hens that will lay fewer eggs but keep it up for more than two years. Big hatcheries specialize in, well, specialization!

Nw that my hatchery "RIR" hens are two and a half, their egg productivity has fallen off a cliff, and I now will be feeding them for however many years they live, without getting much return in terms of eggs. (YOurs sound about like mine, in terms of color). The girls are too scrawny to eat, anyway - I know this because as they molt, I can see how scrawny they are!

So - I shopped around, posted on BYC, read everything I could find (Feathersite is an excellent resource for learning about different breeds). I eventually found the Sand Hill Preservation Center, which is dedicated to recreating the heritage breeds. They have many breeds available, especially if you're looking now for the spring. I wanted a dual purpose bird that would also raise the next generation for me. So I got a batch of Dorkings from Sand Hill this fall. They're only five weeks old, so I can't speak to the long-term quality of the birds as yet, but they are healthy and active and friendly and so forth.

Read the signature lines of BYC posters, as they often list the breeds that person has. When you see one that interests you, send a PM. I got lots of good information this way, which helped me narrow down my choices.

Good luck, and use BYC - it's one of the best resources out there!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by