pure chicken

Warfarin

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 25, 2013
Indianola Utah
So I picked up 2 silver laced wyandottes from the store I work at (the come from Dunlap Hatchery just before Easter, last night I acquired a Silver laced Wyandotte rooster bought from the same store last spring (Don't know what hatchery they were using last year). I would like to start breeding (very small scale) this breed of chicken are these ok to start with? I read somewhere that mass produced hatchery chicks aren't the best to use for this purpose. If this goes well I want to get into breeding and helping to save some of the heritage breeds that are low in numbers. Particularly the Naked Neck. If these types of hatcheries are not a good place to get breeding stock where would I go to get them?

Thanks for any help.

So I picked up 2 silver laced wyandottes from the store I work at (the come from Dunlap Hatchery just before Easter, last night I acquired a Silver laced Wyandotte rooster bought from the same store last spring (Don't know what hatchery they were using last year). I would like to start breeding (very small scale) this breed of chicken are these ok to start with? I read somewhere that mass produced hatchery chicks aren't the best to use for this purpose. If this goes well I want to get into breeding and helping to save some of the heritage breeds that are low in numbers. Particularly the Naked Neck. If these types of hatcheries are not a good place to get breeding stock where would I go to get them?

Thanks for any help.

If your goal is to breed to the standard of perfection of the particular breeds you choose, you want to source your foundation stock from lines that have been bred with similar goals in mind. Hatchery stock is bred with production as the primary focus and, as such, other characteristics of the breed take a back seat. When preservation is the goal you want to preserve the best of the breed.

Hatchery birds are great for their intended purpose and I would encourage you to use this starting point you are at now to learn about general aspects of keeping happy, healthy poultry. There will be some trial and error involved as you learn all there is to know about caring for your new feathered friends, and being able to do that learning with less expensive birds such as your hatchery birds is going to be preferable to having to go through that learning process with birds you have gone to great trouble and expense to locate and bring into your flock.

While you go through the first year or two of chicken keeping you can start networking with members of BYC that are close to your area, attend some poultry shows in your areas and start to find sources for the breeds you want to work with.

I have kept chickens for 3 years now so I have a good Idea of how to keep them healthy and happy. I have 5 acres so space isn't a huge issue. I know when I do start I will build a new coop and run to keep them separate from the others. Thank you for your reply Ol Grey Mare. I probably won't start this until next spring, I want to make sure I have everything I need first. I kinda jumped in 3 years ago and don't want to make that mistake again. I know I'll need incubators etc, just didn't know where to get good examples of the breed so I can help in keeping them going.

I kinda just went through a similar thing.

My daughter wanted to show chickens, but really didn't have a breed in mind. After reading a bit, I knew we needed to start with good stock to breed good stock. You at least have a breed in mind already.

Reading the Heritage threads of your breed of choice and even other breeds (like Bob's RIR threads) taught me a bunch. I asked where to get good stock in one of the threads and got lots of help.

I'd read and ask here
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/301500/naked-neck-turken-thread

or here.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/849075/heritage-large-fowl-phase-ii

Thanks IFish now I get to spend forever reading a 1279 page
ep.gif
thread on naked necks. I'm sure there is some good information in there. The second link was great as well. Does anybody know where you can find breed standards?

Thanks IFish now I get to spend forever reading a 1279 page
ep.gif
thread on naked necks. I'm sure there is some good information in there. The second link was great as well. Does anybody know where you can find breed standards?

No problem.
wink.png

Breed standards are found at the APA in their SOP.

http://www.amerpoultryassn.com/store.htm

Buy a copy of the Standard as it is copyrighted by the APA.

Finding a good breeder of your chosen breed is helpful. They can help mentor you through the beginning.

Back
Top Bottom