Pure SIlkie or Cross? *Pic Heavy*

Cargbrock

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 20, 2011
West Tennessee
We had a little silkie chick hatch out of what we thought was a Polish egg. (It could have just been a larger silkie egg.) When it hatched, it was supposed to be all white (Both parents should have been white silkies), but it looked like there was a lot of brown on it. I though it was just because it hadn't fluffed out, but now that it's fluffed out, it's a light greyish color with darker grey wings, chest, and a spot on the back of it's neck. It also has brown-tipped feathers behind it's wings and a brown stripe from it's rump to the base of it's neck.. It looks like a pure silkie except for the coloring. The only other rooster we have is a Golden Laced Polish.. Could that be the father? Or are some silkies just born with odd colors? Or could it be a Polish hen and a Silkie roo? Am I just going to have to wait for it to feather out? It doesn't look like the other Silkie chicks we've had.

(Excuse the buff chick.. It's a little camera hog.)

We had a little silkie chick hatch out of what we thought was a Polish egg. (It could have just been a larger silkie egg.) When it hatched, it was supposed to be all white (Both parents should have been white silkies), but it looked like there was a lot of brown on it. I though it was just because it hadn't fluffed out, but now that it's fluffed out, it's a light greyish color with darker grey wings, chest, and a spot on the back of it's neck. It also has brown-tipped feathers behind it's wings and a brown stripe from it's rump to the base of it's neck.. It looks like a pure silkie except for the coloring. The only other rooster we have is a Golden Laced Polish.. Could that be the father? Or are some silkies just born with odd colors? Or could it be a Polish hen and a Silkie roo? Am I just going to have to wait for it to feather out? It doesn't look like the other Silkie chicks we've had.

(Excuse the buff chick.. It's a little camera hog.)

I love a mystery! It looks like a silkie. Guess you'll have to wait on the color...

I read on this forum that white is just the absence of color and that two white silkies can produce colored offspring. Sorry, but I don't remember what thread that was attached to. Could be that your little baby is just a throw back genetically. That peep certainly doesn't look like it has any polish in it to me! Keep us posted :)

if it has silkie feathering then its pure. white can mask all sorts of colors. looks like its going to be blue maybe might even be splash with the dot it has

I read on this forum that white is just the absence of color and that two white silkies can produce colored offspring. Sorry, but I don't remember what thread that was attached to. Could be that your little baby is just a throw back genetically. That peep certainly doesn't look like it has any polish in it to me! Keep us posted :)

I actually read that post and talked about it with my mom. If you get really into it, you can understand how you can get a colored chick from a white pair. I think it's really neat. I can't wait to see what the rest of the silkie chicks will look like.

if it has silkie feathering then its pure. white can mask all sorts of colors. looks like its going to be blue maybe might even be splash with the dot it has

That's what I was thinking... It doesn't look like it would be crossed with a Polish, but seeing as we have a mixed flock and they all have access to each other, it was a possibility.

From the pictures it looks like a Blue Silkie. I know cameras can be deceiving though. Maybe take a look at the FeatherSite page of Silkie chicks and see if yours looks like any of them.

Does NOT look like the white chicks in the pictures.. It doesn't look like it's parents when they were chicks either.. I agree that it looks like a blue.. It's a little light though.. In the pictures the self blue looked about the same color, but I'm not sure of the difference between the two.. The only thing that confuses me is all the brown it has on it's back and sides.

could be calico (i doubt it but just a thought), yes if it has silkie feathers then its pure (unless you have silkie mixes as well), as the gene for the feathers to be silkied are receive it would take 2 copies of the gene to produce a silkie feathered off spring.

example:

silkie roo/hen x regluar roo/hen = regular feathered offspring with a silkie feathered gene (along with other silkie traits) (f1)
f1 generation x silkie hen/roo = should give you at least 50/50 silkied feathering if not 100% silkie feathering (but still mixed chicks)

if that makes any since...

Maybe you got really lucky and ended up with a porcelain :)

I actually read that post and talked about it with my mom. If you get really into it, you can understand how you can get a colored chick from a white pair. I think it's really neat. I can't wait to see what the rest of the silkie chicks will look like.

That's what I was thinking... It doesn't look like it would be crossed with a Polish, but seeing as we have a mixed flock and they all have access to each other, it was a possibility.

Does NOT look like the white chicks in the pictures.. It doesn't look like it's parents when they were chicks either.. I agree that it looks like a blue.. It's a little light though.. In the pictures the self blue looked about the same color, but I'm not sure of the difference between the two.. The only thing that confuses me is all the brown it has on it's back and sides.

Maybe you got really lucky and ended up with a porcelain :)

I've heard of the porcelain, but have never seen one, so I searched it... It highly resembles the adult porcelains, but I'm not sure what the chicks look like.. I found a picture of two chicks, but could only see one of their sides.. There were no pictures from different angles.. They were also significantly older than this one is.

Back
Top Bottom