Purina Feed?

ChikinInThePines

Songster
6 Years
Mar 13, 2017
South Carolina, USA
Hey everyone! My wife and I are new to keeping chickens and have been using Manna Pro for awhile now (even in the past with Quail). We will most likely need to change to a more "bulk" option of feed - however, our local stores have stopped carrying Purina due to the issues they have caused for our friends, local breeders and growers. Even We can still order Purina as it a much more budget friendly option, but has anyone had issues with Purina recently?
Or does anyone recommend a good bulk feed other than Purina?

To answer your question of recent problems with Purina- I am NOT SURE!! ;-) Long long answer as to why but shortened for this post- we've had problems with our chickens since switching back to Purina- a newer feed- this past fall...

COULD be coincidence but as I'm ruling out things... I gotta start to question their feed!! To be super cautious I've at least started to slowly mix back in an old fav of MINE ;-) haha that they wouldn't eat unless fermented but that was when they were at their healthiest- could be again coincidence based on their age at the time- and having not molted yet at that time but?? Can't HURT so... while I reach out to see if anyone else if experiencing problems like not laying, etc....
Here's the shortened part of another post I'm working on re: long complex problems...:
Was looking specifically if anyone had problems with the newer (that I am aware of- TSC didn't start to carry until last fall here at least) "Purina Layena Plus Omega 3" MINI pellets?? We were excited to see it and tried these and their new "pearls" shape but my chickens wouldn't touch that. We used to feed the Layena crumbles after their medicated chick layena feed, but had tried to change to "Grubblies" that didn't work out for them- so switched to the only other one I can find that also has BSFL as the source of protein- by the company that calls itself "Flock party" I think it was- but we were SICK of paying for SO much dust!! PLUS, I was worried that they were not getting enough of each critical ingredient they needed as I'd sift out the powder and it's not like it breaks down equally ;-) Ugh...
So we were thrilled to see another Layena product that is frankly perfect in regards to how they like it and how it holds up!! We used a few 10lb bags then started to get the bigger bags- think it's 40 or 50lbs and just got another big one despite concerns- as I was just about OUT and would need to switch anyway...

I blew off concern over the recall that my husband told me about as it was for two other specific brands of Purina chicken feed...plus I didn't personally look it up.... But it DID stay in the back of my mind when things got even worse...

Has ANYONE else had problems with this food??? PURINA LAYENA PLUS (OMEGEA 3) - different than their Layena Omega crumbles... it's a fairly new "mini" pellet...

To answer your question of recent problems with Purina- I am NOT SURE!! ;-) Long long answer as to why but shortened for this post- we've had problems with our chickens since switching back to Purina- a newer feed- this past fall...

COULD be coincidence but as I'm ruling out things... I gotta start to question their feed!! To be super cautious I've at least started to slowly mix back in an old fav of MINE ;-) haha that they wouldn't eat unless fermented but that was when they were at their healthiest- could be again coincidence based on their age at the time- and having not molted yet at that time but?? Can't HURT so... while I reach out to see if anyone else if experiencing problems like not laying, etc....
Here's the shortened part of another post I'm working on re: long complex problems...:
Was looking specifically if anyone had problems with the newer (that I am aware of- TSC didn't start to carry until last fall here at least) "Purina Layena Plus Omega 3" MINI pellets?? We were excited to see it and tried these and their new "pearls" shape but my chickens wouldn't touch that. We used to feed the Layena crumbles after their medicated chick layena feed, but had tried to change to "Grubblies" that didn't work out for them- so switched to the only other one I can find that also has BSFL as the source of protein- by the company that calls itself "Flock party" I think it was- but we were SICK of paying for SO much dust!! PLUS, I was worried that they were not getting enough of each critical ingredient they needed as I'd sift out the powder and it's not like it breaks down equally ;-) Ugh...
So we were thrilled to see another Layena product that is frankly perfect in regards to how they like it and how it holds up!! We used a few 10lb bags then started to get the bigger bags- think it's 40 or 50lbs and just got another big one despite concerns- as I was just about OUT and would need to switch anyway...

I blew off concern over the recall that my husband told me about as it was for two other specific brands of Purina chicken feed...plus I didn't personally look it up.... But it DID stay in the back of my mind when things got even worse...

Has ANYONE else had problems with this food??? PURINA LAYENA PLUS (OMEGEA 3) - different than their Layena Omega crumbles... it's a fairly new "mini" pellet...
Please look up the threads on this instead of reviving an older thread.
Low dalight hours are to blame for lack of laying, no matter what the diet. It's been dark pretty much everyone this winter.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/im-sending-feed-to-be-analyzed.1561749/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/feed-tests-more-results.1565804/#post-26572816

Please look up the threads on this instead of reviving an older thread.
Low dalight hours are to blame for lack of laying, no matter what the diet. It's been dark pretty much everyone this winter.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/im-sending-feed-to-be-analyzed.1561749/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/feed-tests-more-results.1565804/#post-26572816
Yikes- excuse me!! :eek:

I've been wanting to post on related issues for MANY weeks now and never did as I was being SO careful to be SURE I'd read all I could possibly find first....

Now I finally post a reply to what looks like a pretty recent post- compared to what I normally see on everything I've looked into...and I'm sorry to have evidently offended!! 🥺I will read the links that you so passionately posted!!

BTW- FYI my chickens are getting MORE light than they did their entire lives since this problem really started...so to chalk it up to simple amt of sunlight is pretty assumptive. Their old coop did not have ANY windows or source of light other than what they got ambiently from the hardwire covered eaves... NOW they're in a new shed that had almost half of it turned into a coop and have a 24"X36" window IN their coop on one wall and have a small opening at the roof level where they get a lot of light in as well from an east facing transom window in the doors in the shed side as well as a second window.... ALSO they get out easily 2hrs earlier Each am than they did when I was having to go let them out as they have an automatic door now- I'm chronically ill and had a time getting out in the mornings so they just got used to me coming out later than I'd have liked....but they were VERY healthy and happy so....we made do!
Also, haven't noticed any difference here in coastal VA to say it's been darker...??!!

Would still appreciate anyone else piping up if they've had any problems on this particular food. I stated that I didn't put any stake into the recalls when I was told about them.... I am asking for personal information from those who may be going thru it!!

Thanks.

Now I finally post a reply to what looks like a pretty recent post- compared to what I normally see on everything I've looked into...and I'm sorry to have evidently offended!! 🥺I will read the links that you so passionately posted!!
Don't worry, you're ok. This topic got hashed about for a few weeks, and got very contentious. Some people got made and left BYC over it.

Read the threads if you like; there was some interesting information in with all the hubbub.

I agree that the "my chickens aren't laying, is it the feed" was pretty much disproven. Could some people have gotten bad feed? Sure.

My criteria for chicken feed is 20% protein, like an all flock or flock maker, and how fresh it is. If a Purina feed checks those boxes, I'd say it's fine.

Thank you- good grief!! Was really starting to wonder... almost as bad as getting jumped ALL over on a different site for calling my TSC chick (at the time) a "Majestic Midnight Maran" and people FLIPPING out & going off about how that's NOT a Maran!! Easy- not showing here... was simply for identification sake looking for info!! People need to maybe get out more- or less...?? I dunno!:gig

Anyway as I posted in my response, daylight is NOT an issue for me in PARTICULAR for reasons listed- as it is SO much better now....have 3 of remaining 5 laying pretty consistently- daily or OOD... but one I have to watch and give extra CA++ to as she simply won't eat ANY extra source of it left out to eat as needed and has laid soft shelled eggs pretty frequently in the last couple weeks especially...

Won't go into anymore details as this isn't really the place but I'd logged on to ask the question myself and then checked first in a search and this thread popped up... Silly me 🤣

DO appreciate you responding and letting me know all that- always a few bad eggs eh?!

Hey everyone! My wife and I are new to keeping chickens and have been using Manna Pro for awhile now (even in the past with Quail). We will most likely need to change to a more "bulk" option of feed - however, our local stores have stopped carrying Purina due to the issues they have caused for our friends, local breeders and growers. Even We can still order Purina as it a much more budget friendly option, but has anyone had issues with Purina recently?
Or does anyone recommend a good bulk feed other than Purina?
Could you clarify as to why your stores stop carrying Purina? What kind of "issues"?

I've been using TSC Purina feed for years, never had an "issue". Have learned a few things I didn't know about their feed but nothing to do with quality nor nutrition. I've dealt with their CS whom I found helpful and informative.

Thank you- good grief!! Was really starting to wonder... almost as bad as getting jumped ALL over on a different site for calling my TSC chick (at the time) a "Majestic Midnight Maran" and people FLIPPING out & going off about how that's NOT a Maran!! Easy- not showing here... was simply for identification sake looking for info!! People need to maybe get out more- or less...?? I dunno!:gig

Anyway as I posted in my response, daylight is NOT an issue for me in PARTICULAR for reasons listed- as it is SO much better now....have 3 of remaining 5 laying pretty consistently- daily or OOD... but one I have to watch and give extra CA++ to as she simply won't eat ANY extra source of it left out to eat as needed and has laid soft shelled eggs pretty frequently in the last couple weeks especially...

Won't go into anymore details as this isn't really the place but I'd logged on to ask the question myself and then checked first in a search and this thread popped up... Silly me 🤣

DO appreciate you responding and letting me know all that- always a few bad eggs eh?!
I think when people talk about daylight they are talking about day length not about whether the coop gets a lot of light or just a little bit of light.
Longer days means the chickens start laying again versus shorter days in winter they lay less.

Back
Top Bottom