Purina Feed?

Think we ALL spent many hours on this site READING & trying to absorb as much information we can. I know I have spent and still do, reading. Problem is posting sometimes lacks the emotion so we misinterpret the emotion behind a post ...

We tend to "blame" the feed but as it's been said in several posts, I'm thinking the weather or probably a combination of things has caused our hens to "slow down". I have a hen that has laid everyday since she started last Aug ... This past week she took a 2 day break, was concerned & monitored her activities but she's entitled to rest. I also had another that would take a day off that took 2 days off, I do have one that takes a day off every week and she did ... I only have 3 "hens" they just made a year old.

I feed FR crumbles but the other month only pellet form was available, notice it was yellow and contained more corn than the crumbles did. Just picked up a bag of crumbles, so as much as it's FR the color & ingredients differ. From what I've learned, it's due to what grain is available to make up the Nutritional Value of the feed. I've also learned that sometimes (for whatever reasons) the feed is Made For instead of Made By ... Now I read labels but when we have no choice (HI) between Pellets (Made By) vs Crumbles (sometimes Made For) we take what we get.

Guess what I'm wanting to say is, can't always blame the feed ... Some chickens are "sensitive" to weather conditions (I know when we got alot of rain on the way) and surrounding (neighbor kid got some Roos, decided to house them along our fence line). my girls want to take a break, I'm ok as long as it's not a health issue.
I would Never worry about a two day break!! My girls laid like champs for their first full year plus as well ....thought they were just extra happy and healthy :lau then found out that no- they are considered "spring chickens" even though some were born first of June, SO they DO lay year round until they go thru their first molt the NEXT fall....

That is when they finally really slowed down- stopped even for a bit when two of the Easter Eggers who lay almost daily overlapped their molt- of course they can't all do it togther ;-) haha so it went from like Oct to Jan... and I'm only NOW starting to consider food- not blaming it!! I was more than happy for them to take a straight up break if it would extend their life and be easier on them- takes a LOT to make an egg:eek:(and regrow feathers!) but I was not worried for maybe a bit too long- we're about to start APRIL now and still several haven't laid since....🥺...I don't think...
Thus the 🧐 by me about ALL aspects of their daily life!! Trust me, I'm way past 'on it' and long for the days when I'd even skip a day cleaning on the weekends when my DH would let them out and put them to bed for me! (and thought we'd get to do now and then with the upgraded digs 🤣 but instead, I've been going out earlier than ever to check crop(s) and massage them after treatments and medications... It's getting nuts but they're worth it.
(* btw I say "I don't think" re: who's not laying b/c I used to be able to tell you who laid what egg but now my "blue" layer has been laying a green egg almost daily again and the other two who laid two shades of green ones are the ones I do not think are laying- one has crop issues big time and the other I only recently noticed started to not be able to hide how she was feeling... won't get TOO off topic with why- but point is that now WHO knows other than being out there enough to see who's sitting in the nest boxes and who I haven't even seen glance at 'em!)
At this point, they're pets- let's face it! 😅 so the eggs are a bonus- to me anyway!! haha

WAY sorry to hear about the roos being suddenly placed at the fence line- that sucks! Yeah I bet your girls are like "whaaa" but they heard them long before surely at least... we hear them for 1/4 mile- the length of our road to our house...DO love that there is no line right up to someone's property- wooded except for ~1ac cleared for house/pasture etc.
Hang in there- and hope you fare better come this fall!! 😘 I didn't spend ANY time on here really before that!!

You mentioned they're in a new coop now, have you changed out their feeders? Are there any predators hanging about (just hanging about can stress them, even if the predators can't get to the chickens). We have a neighbors cat that sometimes hangs around - I see smaller eggs when the cat's been around a while. Also my chickens don't like my feeder so much, so when I put down a dog bowl full of regular food each morning, they eat more than when they just have access to their feeders. I get larger eggs as a result.

Have your chickens been stressed in any way? Loud noises in the yard due to constructing the new coop? Cause that can also impact egg laying. I was cutting holes in the recently built shed with an angle grinder, and after that it took a number of hens a week or so to let me around them again. Also saw smaller eggs. They did not like me doing that at all!
Thanks to you and SallyPB for the input!!
Sorry to be belated- I'm not used to this and get all confused until I get another notification. Obviously based on the length of my replies I don't usually post :lau Yeah, I can laugh at myself!!

To answer your questions- YES, DEF been stressed in Many ways- started with their first full molt last fall- some not til Jan but AWHILE ago now...and we built a new coop/shed combo/covered run JUST past where their old one was- has finally been taken down the road to a neighbor's so we're ALmost done- still have holes to fill in where the old posts were removed...but we took like 6 months to finish- started on Labor Day ;-) and they moved in I think the first part of Feb cause we wormed them with Valbazen for the first time on Valentine's Day- new Fun way to spend that holiday together!!! :lovelol but even that is stressful as I'd never dosed them with anything orally prior- was always sneaky- a treat! But things were looking bad so we got serious...again won't get TOO far into why- diff. thread ;-) but yeah- lots of reasons....just finally started to consider what can I do better or what am I missing...
I'm pretty sure it's all been mostly stress but as someone said in an earlier post- perhaps a 'perfect storm' of things- that's the way it goes I guess sometimes!! (sure has in MY life!! 😂 so why not my pets!) Can say though that if we DO still add to our flock this year, it'll be a shipment from a hatchery- NOT from our local "feed store". I don't want their health compromised for more eggs...

ANYWAY- hope this counts as an answer to you both- thankfully weather has been pretty chill but summer's a comin' and the storms will return with it. Have NO idea really how they truly react to thunderstorms :idunnoas I'm only now- since Feb- face to face with them as they go to bed- roosting right at my head's height so I see SO much more now-Had really hoped to give up our nightly ritual of singing them the "nite nite song"....I've NEVER seen anything so cute as my DH singing that to them- esp when he's in a hurry and yet still does it the same but REALLY fast- :celebrate:lau (So YES they're spoiled- me too I guess!!)

OK- I swear unless someone pops up with "oh me TOO"!! re: this particular food, I'm gonna go back to not writing so many posts!!! :wee(that's everyone here 😘🤣)

@ChknMama50, if you haven't read this somewhere else, I want to make sure you see it, ok?

Here's the reason layer feed is 16% protein.

It's the LEAST (ie, cheapest) that commercial poultry keepers can feed their flocks and get consistent egg laying from their flock. If they could do it with less, they would. At their scale, fractions of a percent or penny matter.

I chose the flock maker for its better percentage of protein so that I can give my chickens other things in their diet, but still know they get enough protein. Yesterday they got a bucket of weeds from the garden. I know they ate less of their feed by how much was still in the bowls. But I'm also confident that they got plenty of protein.

@ChknMama50, if you haven't read this somewhere else, I want to make sure you see it, ok?

Here's the reason layer feed is 16% protein.

It's the LEAST (ie, cheapest) that commercial poultry keepers can feed their flocks and get consistent egg laying from their flock. If they could do it with less, they would. At their scale, fractions of a percent or penny matter.

I chose the flock maker for its better percentage of protein so that I can give my chickens other things in their diet, but still know they get enough protein. Yesterday they got a bucket of weeds from the garden. I know they ate less of their feed by how much was still in the bowls. But I'm also confident that they got plenty of protein.
Thanks- you are truly a sweetheart!! I'm DEF going to change up as that really my plan I think all along- even though I said yes to the more practical big bag last time hubby stopped to get food... We're ok with that- plenty to make the change gradually and can always feed the rest to wildlife or donate to other chicken owners on my 'road' ;-)

Funny- saw your posts reading a diff thread- kinda like being at Busch Gardens- ever notice that once you SEE someone you run in to them ALL day in line etc.... 😂
Post was about all-flock. I never thought about the commercial minimums- yeah those poor gals would live off a nugget and a puddle if they could get away with it and still get what they want from them!! 🥺 Fyi- yeah, I'm vegetarian and have hated for long time how most commercial chickens are treated- even when I actually did NOT like birds- haha WHO KNEW?! The personalities blew me away!

Last edited:
It's the LEAST (ie, cheapest) that commercial poultry keepers can feed their flocks and get consistent egg laying from their flock
I would like add that those birds are kept confined and not kept for more than two years.

I do not recommend layer feed for anyone with what we think of as a backyard flock. Even if it had 20% protein, the birds will not need all the calcium all the time.

I would like add that those birds are kept confined and not kept for more than two years.

I do not recommend layer feed for anyone with what we think of as a backyard flock. Even if it had 20% protein, the birds will not need all the calcium all the time.
Yes, both good points, thank you!

Especially the calcium! I forgot to add that I have a dish of oyster shell and another of crushed eggshells for the ladies to get their calcium. They nosh on it when they need it.

My rooster has pecked at both. When he took a piece of oyster shell, he looked like, "What the...? You girls eat this stuff?"

and @Sally PB , Was just looking up some feed, and it WAS "Purina Flock Raiser" that I've tried to supplement with in the past- 20% protein- but my girls literally ate AROUND it! ;-) Guess it's not gonna be that easy- I'm being paid back for being a picky eater when I was little!!! My poor mom! 🤣
Have read up quite a bit on Calcium as my girls are SO different in their needs/and who will supplement... it's weird- the one chicken I have who lays like a CHAMP even thru all this is the ONE chicken who pecks at the oyster shell like it's crack. I was worried about it being an RN, BUT it appears that chickens aren't at risk of kidney disease as humans are and from what I can tell will for the most part pass extra not needed as the hard bumps on the shells.... BUT if they don't get enough.... BIG problems.
I'm too paranoid but I swear- when I got a different brand (very easy to get anywhere) of oyster shell once, they had their first dip in production... have tried many and even when you get one you like- you never know how it will show up if shipped!! Got one brand that said it mattered specifically about the size of the pieces and they'd put a label ON the box (no longer in a bag!) and shipped it like that- got to me as mostly DUST...

I'm gonna crush my own damn shells when my husband buys his next 'bushel' We live on the coast and could probably source them easily locally.... hmmm...;-)
I have actually had to get a powdered calcium to give orally when I thought one was egg bound- she ended up laying two soft shelled eggs in a row then FINALLY popped out a HUGE- SO big- egg the next day that had two yolks.... scary to love something so fragile- if one of those eggs breaks before she gets it out.... well.... 🥺
I'm longing for the days of easy breezy chickens and being clueless!!😘

I KNOW.... balance and try to just enjoy every day!!

"Purina Flock Raiser" that I've tried to supplement with in the past- 20% protein- but my girls literally ate AROUND it! ;-)
Don't give them anything else with it. An otherwise healthy animal will not starve itself in the presence of food.
I'm gonna crush my own damn shells when my husband buys his next 'bushel' We live on the coast and could probably source them easily locally..
Ask him if he really wants those oysters heading into the warm season. Maybe local bars/restaurants will hold a bucket of shells for you. And don't forget the safety glasses.

Don't give them anything else with it. An otherwise healthy animal will not starve itself in the presence of food.

Ask him if he really wants those oysters heading into the warm season. Maybe local bars/restaurants will hold a bucket of shells for you. And don't forget the safety glasses.
not totally following your second comment- I just meant that he used to get them by the bushel when my Daddy was alive and my sister's husband was around too and liked them- but now we lost my father two November's ago and my sister is newly divorced so....that's a lot for just him now!! ;-) haha
Yeah now that we live up here in Gloucester, we were excited to be where he'd drive from VaBeach to get 'em but he just goes to one of several small places close by like one on Gwen's Island and yeah- those are the kinda places that don't produce enough shells to sell 'em commercially so they probably would set aside some for us- esp after he gets a couple dozen again! haha (here's your platter- can we get those shells to go please!?:lau)
DEF yeah on the safety glasses- that stuff flies like shrapnel!! ;-) lol

On the first comment, I might not have been explaining myself very good- was just saying in looking yesterday at "all flock" foods that you guys convinced me to switch over to from our "layer feed" I realized that we'd already tried Purina's last fall during their first full molt when we added in their "Flock Raiser" 20% food to supplement the layer food they were on at the time for the extra needed protein!

and was TRYING ;-) to say that I'll have to look for another brand as they would not- not really w touch it and ate around those pieces that were much lighter in color so I could tell!!
Not wanting to start off with a food they already turned their noses up at...esp when they are NOT "otherwise healthy"!! 🥺 and are eating their current food better than anything else we've had!! I'd love to stick with it....I'm sure I could figure out what their protein total intake is with the BSFL I do use as a source of protein, calcium, and a treat that they all LOVE when feeling normal at least!

As far as the calcium it sounds like you guys didn't think layers need the amt in the layer food ALL the time, but I'm actually fighting them not seeming to get enough! (the other part I was questioning in this food to begin with as they eat it better than anything else without adding anything to it! ?? They always have supplemental oyster shell available as needed, and even sometimes also put out some of their good (hard) shells that we've baked/crushed into tiny pieces to have an alternate choice! Just added in the flat out calcium supplement as suggested when I had one of my girls struggling like she was egg bound- had suggested I used oral calcium straight- to help the contractions as I understand it- and since what she finally laid after that episode was two very soft shelled eggs- one of which broke as soon as it hit the bedding- she was walking around by that point... followed thankfully the next day by a gigantic two yolk egg (her first of those!) that had a good shell!

This is not completely new for her- but def. picked up in frequency and completely new outside the coop... (in old coop couldn't always see if not laid in the egg boxes and I'm sure now that some of what we'd thought was pecking open good eggs were those soft ones from her- they all go for 'em like they do a bug!!! But watching her to be sure! Seems like her abd is even lower and larger... but she eats, drinks, and is otherwise perfectly normal again despite the weird illness they all went thru one by one...(was truly beyond weird- took turns standing off by themselves (or with their old cheerleader Puff-Puff before she passed) puffed up, tail down, and eyes shut- or laying down with same... not eating, barely drinking.....then after a day or so of me pulling them aside and giving them water by droppers full to rehydrate they'd be back almost to normal the next day then another one would do it. ?!? We had wormed them a second time with Valbazen (repeated at day 10 as well) after moving into new coop when still had lots of diarrhea...after trying Fenbendazole few weeks prior- and after we lost Puffy- the only one to NOT pop back from it but was dealing with underlying conditions from birth we suspect....never or very rarely laid.... even treated with new bottle liquid CORID in all waterers for 10 days out of an abundance of caution...long awful story as you can see!!

My situation is currently nuts so I'm constantly confusing people as I'm trying to be good and stay on topic ;) where we were just asking if anyone had problems with this new-ish food in particular.... but asking DUE to all the other different issues I'm dealing with!! (I bold this for anyone who wants to chide me for truly going OFF topic ;-) as I'm so well aware- gotta just stop answering period!! I promised....;-) Can just delete this if need be!!)

It's enough for a blog of it's own which is why I've never succeeded at reaching out for any personal help and so far just using what I can find on MANY previous threads and elsewhere online!!
Prayerfully we'll get past all this and be back to our healthy norm SOON!!?!! 🙏🐔🙏
I'll know even more next time....❤️but hope these gals will hang around with us for some years to come!

Back
Top Bottom