Purina Flockraiser problems

RaulandJeanette

Chirping
May 29, 2020
Virginia
I have gotten several bags of the Purina flockraiser crumbles with grain mites in them. I just bought a bag and opened it to find a mite in the bag. I don't see any evidence on the outside of the bag. I was wondering if anybody else has had these problems with Purina?

When I got my chicks 7 weeks ago, I opened a new bag of Purina chick grower/starter in my house. Big mistake, it was full of gnats! Now I can't get rid of them in my house....!

I agree that it's more likely a feed store storage issue than a manufacturer.. but I'll never keep feed inside my house again! (Seemed like a good idea since it was non-stop raining and a 50 lb bag seemed huge for the chicks.)

I have gotten several bags of the Purina flockraiser crumbles with grain mites in them. I just bought a bag and opened it to find a mite in the bag. I don't see any evidence on the outside of the bag. I was wondering if anybody else has had these problems with Purina?
Hi there, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

I use PFR crumbles all the time without issue.. But, they have many mills. I once got 3 bags of flock raiser pellets that were moldy on the middle of the inside without any contamination to the outter bag or feed before getting to the center... I can no longer get pellets. I returned those bags to my local feed store.. who contacted the company to have it taken care of as it was clearly NOT a storage problem.

This is the very reason everything gets a lot # assigned with mill dates etc.. I would consider contacting the company.. Purina.. and discuss you issue with them.. I think their mill date stuff is printed on the bottom seem. Although this is a fantastic forum and medium to find others facing the issue, I bet there are many more who are not on here or just may not see this.. that may still have contacted the company. They want to resolve these issues and track down the source of infiltration, eliminate it, protect their product, and keep their patrons content...

I would think they might send coupons for free bags of food, maybe a refund if you happen to have your receipt, or something else to that effect.. They will likely ask where you purchased, maybe how you stored, whatever.. just tell it like it is.. and hopefully you be able to report back to us that one of the biggest companies in the industry did everything they need to ensure your concern was addressed and retain your business! :fl

Take photos.. and get it out of your place if possible. Call your feed store and see if they will handle it or if you need to pursue it on your own.

Could it have actually been weevils, little black beetles? Grain mites are super gross in an entirely different way, but I digress... No matter - you should def contact Purina - I had an issue with their feed a year or two ago, and they were good to work with. I think I just sent them a message through their Facebook page. Got contacted by someone with the parent company, Land O'Lakes. They did send a coupon for a free bag of feed, plus a couple more that were good for a few dollars off. Hopefully, they'll make it right for you; it's also good to know you've had this experience - Flock Raiser is my go-to for crumbles!

Most of us have learned the hard way that it's necessary to check the mill date on each bag of food before purchase!!! I want something that's within one month of milling, and use it up within another month. It's stored in the original bag in a metal garbage can in the coop, not in the house.
I've seen feed that's over one year old at local feed stores! How healthy can it possibly be? Not to mention bug infested?
Do contact Purina, and check those mill dates, every time! Complain at the feed store for sure too. Nobody needs insect infested feed...
Mary

Here is a picture of the bugs. They may be a grain beetle instead of a mite. Any thoughts? I'm going to contact Purina.

Attachments

• IMG_2363.jpg
    IMG_2363.jpg
    359.9 KB · Views: 33
I use Purina flockraiser and I'll find some little earwigs in it sometimes but that's just from my yard. I don't have a problem with them though because my chickens love them😂😂😂

Back
Top Bottom