Purina Layena Crumbles

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jimmyneutrontx, Dec 28, 2010.

1. jimmyneutrontx

jimmyneutrontx New Egg

Dec 23, 2010
    New to raising chicken so my question is is Purina Layena crumbles all I should be feeding my chickens. They do no free range at all they are soley coop bound. They are currently laying and average of 5 eggs per day.

2. Amigatec

Amigatec Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Haskell Oklahoma
    I feed the pellets and according to Purina that is all you need, but I do keep a feeder with griw and Oyster shells handy for them just in case.

3. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Thats all they need but treats are good. Mine like scratch grains and black oil sunflower seeds.

4. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

When I feed "crumbles" (for the younger birds), I find that the darned sparrows get 1/2 the feed.

When I feed "pellets"...it is not so bad and my feed bill goes down.

-Junkmanme- [​IMG]

5. jimmyneutrontx

jimmyneutrontx New Egg

Dec 23, 2010
    Thanks for the input. I was just curious becuase my girls have been pecking at each other and at least 3 of then have missing feathers around there vents and tail feathers. And I have examined them and they dont appear to have mites.

6. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    I use Layena pellets instead of crumbles. There is nearly no waste with the pellets. I also give them some treats. However, I make sure that the pellets make up most of their diet. The treats usually consist of table scraps. I usually give them about 2 cups of BOSS nearly every day (for 34 birds). I let mine free range occasionally but most of the time they are confined to the run and coop. In the summer and fall they get lots of garden scraps. When I pull weeds in the garden I dump them in the chicken run. The chickens always love seeing the wheelbarrow coming up to the gate. Once in awhile I give them a little scratch.

7. AZKat

AZKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    If they're feather picking, that can be a sign of that they need more protein, or that they are bored. If its the former, you can start feeding meat scraps, or move to a higher protein feed. If its boredom, scratch or treats like cabbage can help.

8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:
    I was just curious becuase my girls have been pecking at each other and at least 3 of then have missing feathers around there vents and tail feathers

Feather eating or feather picking can be from low protein amount, type of protein [too much plant protein and not enough animal protein], confinement [space too small], boredom, and lice and or mites.

Chris​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by