Purina Layena Plus.

gavinandallison

Songster
9 Years
Jul 25, 2010
Matthews, NC.
Has anyone used this feed? I have bought a bag to try, was trying to buy flax seed to mix in my regular feed but the cost is so high. Just wondering, my local feed store has it in stock, so I will try it but it is only a 40lb bag for $16.

That is a very good price! Yes, this is good, for layer hens...But I also give my layer hens dog kibble when I run out! Read about it somewhere, can't remember where, but
dog kibble has bone meal, omega 3's, and calcium, protein, ect. Get the good stuff, all natural the kind you feed your dog. But, really the good stuff is way more expensive compared
to the feed... I just feed it to them when I run out of the layer crumbles and can't get to the store.
Also, save all of your table scraps, potato peels, anything that you would put in your compost pile and give it to them! My eggs are the tastiest in town, everyone who tastes them says
they have never had such good eggs! That is my secret! Oh, and let them get lots of greens, either grass clippings, or grow them for them to eat. I have radish, beet, and various lettuce mix especially for them! They love rasberry leaves, lots of nutrition in all of these, goes straight to the eggs. Some day I am going to have my eggs tested for all the nutrient value. Until then, I just know they are high
in all of the omega 3's and vitamins and protein.
Good luck!

That's about the same price as it runs at my feed store which makes it too pricy for me to try.

It comes out to forty cents a pound which if they were to sell it in the customary fifty pound sack would be twenty dollars a bag.

Quote:
The proof is in the pudding---or in this case, in the eggs and healthy chickens. I read in the Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens that we shouldn't feed our chickens raw potato peels because "they can't digest easily" so we should cook peels or avoid feeding them to chickens. My dh pooo pooos me when I say this because his grandmother raised chickens for years and fed the chickens e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g.

I'm new to chickens and so careful to not harm them.... you know how it is with a newbie?

Right now trying to decide what to get for my next bag of feed....and I really want quality. Where I am -- there just aren't a lot of choices. I just cannot seem to find something I think is great. I haven't seen that Purina feed...and I (or I should say my hens) weren't impressed with Layena pellets. -- but then they were pellets, and they had less protein than the previous feed...etc.

Gavinandallison--- What do you think of this feed...do your chickens like it? Are the pellets fairly small? Or haven't you switched yet?

A.T. Hagan--- the price of everything is going up---I guess chicken feed too. Wouldn't a superb, wonderful, low cost feed be great? Yes.

Last edited:
My local Tractor Supply doesn't carry Layena Plus, but I do have my chickens on Layena. As far as enthusiasm for eating, they seem to really love it. They're only 18 weeks old and haven't started laying yet, so I couldn't say how it does for egg production.

I just picked up a bag today, because my Mazuri Game Bird did not arrive yet & I like the smaller pellets. It must be aroun $16.68 plus tax, but I got it for $9.69 total with $8 in coupons. It smelled better than the Layena. It wasn't as fresh as I would like, guess they aren't selling a lot.

For potato peels, you can stick them in the microwave for a minute or two. They're one of the few things I won't feed my chickens raw. I've heard bad things about feeding raw potato peelings, although I used to do it all the time and never killed anybody.

16% for layer feed is pretty much a universal standard. If you want 18-20% in the Purina line, most choose Flock Raiser. I have not seen Layena Plus anywhere here, but if the price is representative, I'd pass along with A.T. Hagan. In the next city north is an old time elevator-feed-seed. They grind their own layer mash for $10.95 a 50#. The hens love it, the production is great, so I've no complaints.

Back
Top Bottom